• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 5

Started by Marco Diaz, January 21, 2006, 02:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene Archer

"Welcome back, cadet. Well, let's see what you've made of it."

*Archer picked up the cadet's exam and began checking the answers.*

"Well, I must say that you have just did something unique. You did not just pass the test, you didn't make a single mistake! I think you are the first cadet ever to have done that. I am very pleased with you, cadet, even though I knew you'd have it in you. You are hereby graduated from the engineering course.

You are now officially promoted to the full rank of ensign. You may pick the appropriate avatar (since you are an engineer now, you may take the yellow one).
As you can see, there are enough open positions in the field of engineering in the fleet. I would recommend you to contact the CO's of some of those ships to apply for the job. Unless, of course, you are interested in studying yet another subject on the academy. It is all your choice. Please consider both possibilities."
http://idcards.expansionfleet.com.sparks.priorweb.be/ID-Archer.jpg" border="0">

Eugene Archer

=^=Archer to Kassie. Please report to the conference room within half an hour. We will inform of what's going on once you've arrived. Archer out.=^=

FredLurado

A middle aged Captain entered the classroom and took a seat in a tall chair in the front of the room.
"Welcome to the Engineering course Cadet. I am Captain Fred Lurado. I will begin you for this course. Engineering is complex, there is much to know, and much to cover. So I will begin right away".
He handed the Cadet several Starfleet PADD's
"These contain information to study over for the first part of this course".
PADD:
Impulse Engines
The impulse engines of starfleet vessels are fusion powered. They have two primary functions, both of which are shared with the warp engines: they propel the ship though space and supply power for ships systems.
Impulse engines propel the ships at sublight speed, during normal operations, full impulse is only one-quarter the speed of light; above this, problems tend to occur. Travel at half the speed of light will cause a fall in engine efficiency to 85 percent, travel at impulse above three quarters the speed of light may cause relativistic problems.
The impulse drive is normally used within a solar system or within regions of space such as black clusters and the Badlands, which are incompatible with the warp field. Control of the impulse engines is maintained by a combination of computer automation and crew command input.
Uses of impulse engines
Impulse engines may be used to propel the ship and as a power source at the same time. Parts must be replaced periodically to maintain the engines maximum efficiency and safety.
Impulse engines can be used to manoeuvre a ship and keep it aloft in planetary atmospheres, even if it does not have an aerodynamic shape. Impulse engines are not to be confused with manoeuvring thrusters which are used when pinpoint accuracy is needed, such as inside a spacedock.

PADD #2:
QuoteREACTION CHAMBER:http://www.expansionfleet.com/images/console.gif" border="0">
The magnetic constrictors make up the bulk of the warp core. They provide physical support to the reaction chamber, pressure containment for the whole core and, most importantly, guide and align the fuel flow onto the desired location within the reaction chamber.
The matter constrictor is typically longer than the antimatter constrictor, as antimatter is easier to focus and so requires a shorter distance for the same accuracy. Typically, the magnetic constrictors are divided into segments; each segment will contain several sets of tension frame members, a toroidal pressure vessel wall, several sets of magnetic constrictor coils and related power and control hardware. Constrictor coils will have dozens of active elements, and on more advanced designs these will be configures to contain the magnetic field almost wholly within the constrictor, with minimum spillage into the exterior environment. Starfleet warp cores usually have the outermost layers of the constrictors constructed of a semi-transparent layer which allows harmless secondary photons to escape from the inner layers, creating a glow effect. This gives an immediate visual cue to the current activity rates within the warp core.
As the fuel is released from the injector nozzles, the constrictors compress it and increase the velocity considerably. This ensures the proper collision energy and alignment within the reaction chamber.
Captain Fred Lurado
U.S.S. Iroquois
Commanding Officer

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6444/luradoxm9.jpg" border="0">
http://stborderland.proboards47.com/index.cgi" target="_blank">Star Trek: Borderland

Jennithefluffy1

Cadet Jenni Chater reporting in!
I'm a quick study so it shouldn't take long for me to understand the work.
I promise to assimilate it well and good http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/borg3.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':borg3:'>
YOUR CEILING IS HIDEOUS!!

Marco Diaz

I would recommend that if you want to become an engineer that you read up on Engineering protocols located in the database.

Your Exam will review items contained therein.

Course Schedule will consist of the following:

1) Entry test
2) Warp Engine/Field Study
3) Ship board Training
4) Final Exam
5) Graduation
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Rylaan Brish

Rylaan walks in, and sees a familier face in Lt.Commander Baphomet. "Ma'am..." He states as he moves to attention "did you wish for me to report to this class immediatly, or await the exam for in the Sciences class" Staying at attention, he awaits his answer.
Second chances rarely go the way you want them to...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/dionon/rylaan.jpg" border="0">

Jon Dane

Dane quickly entered the classroom.
"I apologize for being late, sir".
Cadet Jon Dane
Operations

Jon Dane

OOC: 3 days irritates you? Try 6 months. This is not my only character here. I am online daily, but I clearly have not been able to get to everything. I know that you have recently been restated as the Academy CO, but I also know that under its past management, I still have had to wait 5 months, give or take a few weeks, to have results begin to show for this character.
Cadet Jon Dane
Operations

Gunn Mann

"Thank you very much Sir!"

"I was wondering perhaps if I could help in the moving of Space Station Avalon?  I think this has top priority at the moment and I would truly appreciate the chance to help out the fleet in this manner."
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/gunnerman1971/gunnmann.jpg" border="0">

Eugene Archer

"An entire different base, exactly what I've been thinking. Somewhere else more secure, very good. I myself was thinking on the other side of the planet. There is an area overthere with forests and hills, very hard to reach without the means of transporters. I'm glad you even thought about the Admirals, I guess most people would have forgotten about them."

"Even when you use all pods, shuttles and flyers, there wouldn't be enough capacity to get all of those people down. This would also take way too long. I like the idea of the enhanced transporters much better. In this way, we can evacuate the station within minutes."

"Smart thinking about possibly subdueing the civilians. As we all know, civilians are much more unpredictable than trained starfleet officers. The civilians should not get in our way when we're trying to safe a couple of hundreds valuable officers."

"So... Up till now, I'm very contented about what you've shown me. We will now take a bit of rest, while we can both think about what else to plan. I'll see you back tomorrow in this classroom, same time. Dismissed."

dicen

"um sir i was thinking and im not to sure i want to be an engineer mabe in intel. insted."
dicen
how mutch is real so mutch to question

FredLurado

"The transporter system is something to be caught up on".
The screen displayed a diagram.

http://www.expansionfleet.com/images/transporterschematic.gif" border="0">

"The image should make it reasonable to understand".
The basic operating principles of the transporter are relatively simple. It makes a detailed scan of the subject, breaks down its molecular structure, then transmits this beam to another location. The information gained from the scan is then used to reassemble the subject exactly as before.

Like many simple ideas, the actual engineering required to construct a working transporter are quite more complex. A standard transporter unit consists of ten major components :

The Transport Chamber is the area in which the subject is placed for transport. The transport chamber can be of almost any size or shape, though larger chambers have far greater energy requirements and are correspondingly less efficient for general use. Most transport chambers are capable of holding approximately six persons.

"The inertial damping field is also a key peice of knowledge in the Engineering field".

Operating in Parallel with the structural integrity field (SIF) system is the intertial damping field system (IDF). This system generates a controlled series of variable-symmetry forcefields that serve to absorb the inertial forces of spaceflight which would otherwise cuase fatal injury to the crew. The IDF is generated seperately from the SIF, but is fed by a parallel series of waveguides that are then conducted through synthetic gravity plates.

The IDF operates by maintaining a low-level forcefield throughout the habitable volume of the spacecraft. This field averages 75 millicochranes with field differential limited to 5.26 nanocochranes/meter, per SFRA-standard 352.12 for crew exposure to subspace fields.

As acceleration effects are anticipated, this field is distorted along a vector diametrically opposed to the velocity change. The IDF thereby absorbs the intertial potential, which would otherwise have acted upon the crew. There is a characteristic lag time for the shifting of IDF direction and intensity. This lag varies with the net acceleration involved, but averages 295 milliseconds for normal impulse maneuvers. Because IDF control is generally derived from Flight Controller data, normal course corrections can be anticipated so there is rarely any noticeable acceleration to the crew. Exceptions to this sometimes occur when sudden maneuvers or other externally caused acceleration occur more rapidly than the system can respond.

Flux generation for the IDF is provided by four field generators. Each generator consists of a cluster of twelve 500 kW graviton polarity sources feeding a pair of 150 millicochrane subspace field distortion amplifiers. Heat dissipation on each unit is provided by a pair of 100,000 MJ/hr continous duty liquid helium coolant loops. Three backup generators are located in each hull, providing up to twelve hours of service at 65 percent of maximum rated power. Normal duty cycle on generators is forty-eight hours online, with nominal twelve hours degauss are rated for 2,500 operating hours between routine servicing of superconductive elements.

http://www.expansionfleet.com/images/ids.gif" border="0">

The screen cleared.
"Now to the final bit of information, Very important to know, Cadet. Your systems disagnostics. These are key to know when in a situation of need".

Level 5 Diagnostic: This automated procedure is intended for routing use to verify system performance. Level 5 Diagnostics, which usually require less then 2.5 seconds, are typically performed on most systems on at least a daily basis, and are also performed during crisis situations when time and system resources are carefully managed.

Level 4 Diagnostic: This automated procedure is intended for use whenever trouble is suspected with a given system. This protocol is similar to Level 5, but invokes more sophisticated batteries of automated diagnostics. For more systems, Level 4 diagnostics can be performed in under 30 seconds.

Level 3 Diagnostic: This protocol is similar to level 1 and 2 diagnostics but involves crew verification of only key mechanics and systems readings. Level 3 diagnostics are intended to be performed in ten minutes or less.

Level 2 Diagnostic: This refers to a comprehensive system diagnostic protocol which, like a level 1, involves extensive automated routines, but requires crew verification of fewer operations elements. This yield s a somewhat less reliable system analyses, but is a procedure that can be conducted in less then half the time of the more complex tests.

Level 1 Diagnostic: This refers to the most comprehensive type of system diagnostic, which is normally conducted on ships systems. Extensive automated diagnostic routines are performed, but a level 1 diagnostic requires a team of crew members to physically verify operation of a system mechanisms and to take system readings, rather then depending on the automated programs, thereby guarding against possible malfunctions in self testing hardware and software. Level 1 diagnostics on major systems can take several hours, and in many cases the subject system must be taken offline for all tests to be preformed.

"There we have the material to study, Cadet. This will all come to use in your career, and some in this course. I have a few questions for you before we continue".

1. The impulse engines of a starship are ... powered?
2. One quarter the speed of light is ... what Impulse speed?
3. What creates the ability to go into Warp?
4. What properties of Dilithium allow to be used for fuel?
5. Can Dilithium be synthesized?
6. How do the Warp Coils work?
7. Which diagnostic is most in depth?

"Please answer those questions Cadet. You will find all of them in your information. Following that, we will head to the Training Holodeck".
Captain Fred Lurado
U.S.S. Iroquois
Commanding Officer

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6444/luradoxm9.jpg" border="0">
http://stborderland.proboards47.com/index.cgi" target="_blank">Star Trek: Borderland

Simon Rajnus

"What are the vital systems?.  If you were attacked by 2 klingon birds of prey, they decide to disable your weapon systems, engines, and shields.  Which one would you repair first to maintain a high survivability rating?"
http://images.snapfish.com/3423435523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3247%3E%3A53%3E452%3EWSNRCG%3D323276%3C335%3A%3B8nu0mrj" border="0">

Spencer W. Muise

*he walks in, sits down and awaits instruction*

fredcesa

Greetings.
Admiral Ramson sent me to take classes here as a Fist Year Cadet.
Live Long and Prosper.