• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 7

Started by Marco Diaz, December 14, 2005, 02:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfakkert

Thank you, sir..
Due to a short stay in sickbay I was not able to finish the final case yet , but I'm honoured by your recommendation.
Ensign pfakkert.
Romulan Forth Year Cadet at Deep Space Academy.
Diplomacy classroom.

Ali'aln Tulak

OOC: How long will this training last? Will it be as short as the Medical Field?
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

Ali'aln Tulak

Sir:
Everything was absolutely acceptable. If at all possible, I would like to get as much done tonight as possible. I am ready for my next assignment.
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

"Yes. I have just completed with Ensign Tulak. I will start the same with you. Tell me, what do you know at the moment of Diplomacy? In your own words".

mimas elfeneye

Planet X promised to stop the assaults, if Calos left Federation.
If Calos stops its hostilities, planet X should not attack Calos, that would result in a war with the Federation, which is not what they want.
So, what I think will happen, is that Calos will sign a treaty in which they declare to stand down arms, and begin diplomatic negotiations, maybe even offer help, but what I fear that will happen after, is that planet X will not stop attacking.
I think, personally, that planet X, is the agressor here...
Does this answer your question? sir?

Yaxara Grax

"Cadet Yaxara Grax reporting for diplomacy class, sir!" Yaxara entered the classroom.
http://imageshack.us" target="_blank">http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4338/bet1ja.jpg" border="0">

"What assurances would we have that such defence forces near us would not assault us?"

Elizabeth Bailey

Reporting for Counseling sir.
Elizabeth Marie Bailey

Marco Diaz

You find yourself on a planet fresh with life and new faces. It's a new race that has discovered warp capabilities.
Talks begin with this race, we'll call them Kataan. They are a technologically advanced form of farmers. They have populated their star system
by terra-forming planets.
They are neighbours to another solar system that is less than half a light year away. The two races solar systems intersect at the outermost planets and have
made contact to each other many times.

Both claim ownership of a rogue planet rich with vegetation that is between their zones. No wars have been fought but many fights have broken out.
The Kataan and the Seirya (The other race, not warp capable) are like the Romulans and Vulcans in appearance and history so the prime directive is not imperitive,
although you should be aware that unlike the Vulcans these 2 races are not quiet meditation types.

Tell me what you would do to resolve their problem and still come out peaceful.
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

pfakkert

Good morning, sir !
Here are the results of my first diplomacy testcase;
The first issue I would think about is;
Who to invite at the negotiations-table.
I would like to invite one diplomat from Kataan and one from Seiryan.
I think it's easier to discuss several issues with one person instead of more persons with mutiple points of view.
Where are the negotiations take place'.
I would like to use one of our own larger starships and let the negotiations take place at the intersection of the two races solar systems.
Or if possible in high orbit at the rogue planet.
Our starship would be 'neutral' ground and I would start with a tour of the starship and carefully talk about the benefits of joining the federation of planets.
Carefully talking about joining the federation of planets will give them the feeling that there is even more benefit in solving their disputes.
Our large Starship shall probably impress our guests and give them the feeling that they are dealing with a serious race.
The fact that we take the time and effort to mediate and try to solve their problems will make them see that the federation is  very serious about peace and stability in their region.
"How to solve their problem?"
There are more possibilities to solve this,
They can cooperate and each use half the planet for farming., although in most cases this solution will not work out well.
But still, the federation could be used to oversee if there will be no more skirmishes after the planet is devided.
The planet could sybolize the good relations and good intentions that the Kataan and Seiryans have towards each other.
Personally I would suggest the following;
The Kataan will gain ownership of the rogue planet.
In return, the Kataan will share their knowledge about warp technology and about terraforming with the Seiryans.
This will give the Seiryans the possibility to develop warp-engines and terraform the planets in their own system.
It will also certainly open alot of trade oppertunities between the two planets.
Farming products coming from the rogue planet will be offered for trading to to Seiryans.
If both party's can come to an agreement , the federation will oversee the treaty and make sure that everybody keeps his promises.
If there are no more skirmishes for some time, and both races are peacefull both planets can be given the change to join the federation.
Ensign pfakkert.
Diplomacy classroom.

pfakkert

Thank you, sir..
First, you have honoured my family on Romulus and me with this promotion.
Second, I really enjoy the test that are layed before me although I think this new test will take me a little more time to complete.
I'll try to offer a solution to this test as soon a possible, but it might take me a few days.
Thank you, and hope to see you soon,sir
Ensign pfakkert.
Diplomacy classroom.

Ali'aln Tulak

Well, one of my parents was a diplomat for Betazed. She taught me everything I know. I know that you have to be compassionate, fair, honest, and firm. As well as represent the Federation regally. Since I have my medical degree, I have a lot of patience and firmness down under my belt. I am ready for what you can throw at me. I do have a question? Upon graduation, will I be a Dr. or an Ambassador or both?
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

"I see. I have very little info remaining to give...One thing to remember is to always remain calm. Which being calm and being stern go hand in hand for diplomacy. As in the simulation, one party is outraged. It is the Federations goals to have peacefull talks, and so that is expected of the ambassadors. Considering that outrage is a part of most diplomatic functions.

Next, to highlight some of the common causes for diplomacy:

Planetary/Space dispute - Species facing aggression to each other for some sort of area dispute. This is usually trivial, but at times can become dangerous and war-like. Never treat a case lightly

Action Dispute - If a Federation starship did something known as unauthorized in a place which is dictated by a species or other.

Peace Talks/Treaties - One of the most important functions. Diplomacy is the key in keeping peace. Reaching agreement and compromise. Key word, compromise for all.

Do you have any questions so far?"

mimas elfeneye

***knocks at the door, enters

Excuse me for interrupting

I am affraid it took longer then expected to figure out where I should go to...

Cpt Archer suggested, that I follow the diplomacy class, I hope I can still join...

"Very astute, Cadet. It is located in explored space, but not being in the Federation, not really in Federation space. Though it is no empire, such as Romulans or Klingons. It has claims to its planet, and some surrounding space, but that is all. But it is good that you would meet with the Ambassador of Calos. In such a case, that ambassador might be present as well. Very good so far".

I continue: "We do not wish to be in a Federation, we value our own culture, without any Federation liason, or stations, of your 'Starfleet' crews always about. We want (the other planet) out of your Federation, so that the threats your organization hold are away from our planet".