• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 7

Started by Marco Diaz, December 14, 2005, 02:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimas elfeneye

how about, proposing to Calos, which has a superiour technology, to defend its neighbouring planet, when Federation enemies should make an assault on planet X.

Planet X and Calos could sign a treaty, which commits Calos to defending planet X in times of war... That would not require planet X to join the Federation, but it could become allied with Calos. We, as Federation, could ask the planet X permission to build a defence system in its space...
I am sure Calos would not mind to use its superiour technology on defending his neighbour, and therefor itself, rather than on war, which only weakens their forcers and costs innocent deaths, like wars always do.

Yaxara Grax

"Thank you, Sir. Diplomacy is about solving problems with talking, not fighting, brains, not arms, with other words, finding a peacful soloution that pleases everyone when there are conflicts between someones interests.
The use of diplomacy was always great, and it is also used in simple matters, such as when children 'negotiate' with their parents whether they can go to bed early or late, which makes many people think that everyone can be a good diplomat if his/her needs are in question.
But that statement is not true. For being a diplomat, you have to do more than just represent your own rights. You must have an insight at the people you are neogitationg with, try and understand them, see how they feel, what they want, check out their side of the story. Your goal is to find a solution which pleases everyone.
And there are certain rules, the Prime Directive exists to follow, and you do not represent YOUR needs, but the needs of your species.
Diplomacy brings a great deal of responsibility with itself. A diplomat has to be careful not to provoke the other side and cause a war. He/she has to be charismatic, able to say anything in a short, simple but yet understandable way, without offending anyone. A great deal of self-confidence is needed as well."
http://imageshack.us" target="_blank">http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4338/bet1ja.jpg" border="0">

"Hmm...that would be reasonable. Very well".

"Very good Cadet, that ends this scenario training. Your actions in this situation prevented a combat, or even war.

Now to your final part of this course, scenario questions. Answer these to resolve, and you will be finished with this course.

Scenario 1: War is on the brink between two alien species. They both have technology to destroy each others planet in an instant, and they show all intent on destroying each other totally. What point can be made to implore them to reconsider options?

Scenario 2: One peacefull race is in talks for a treaty of peace and cooporation within thier space. A neighboring planet's species dislikes this agreement, and has sent thier own representative, who constantly provides negative input to the talks. What do you do?

Scenario 3: A species offers unlimited weapons supplies for a Starfleet replicator. How do you approach this?"

"The ambassador of planet X would not approach anyone. The Federation sends ambassadors to deal with the situation. As Calos is involved, the Federation and Starfleet may become involved. Calos would call for diplomatic aid if any were to call, it being the federation member".

Honora

I'm ready when you are sir.

Marco Diaz

"Wonderful, it's good Amdassadors and Diplomats that make or break deals."

"Let's Begin, these things you should have..."

Takes out his remote and a white screen drops down. A projector shines on the screen.

How to be a Diplomat

Irregardless of what species you represent and what motivations you as diplomat may have, it is vital to have certain characteristics to be successful.

Bluff- It is a vital skill to be able to bluff. Bluffing is little more than telling a lie to another and getting away with it. In other words, a diplomat may make an idle threat to another to convince someone to do their will.

Inquisitiveness- Always asking questions and always learning something new.

Persuasiveness- The ability to convince another individual to do your will. The different tools of persuasion vary, from idle threats to secret rewards and monetary gain, from accessing a persons fears to empowering the sense of pride.

Open-minded- To be a diplomat means you must be open minded. Open-mindedness means you are able to see the issue from all angles. Emotions, biases, prior experiences, and historical data can discourage open-mindedness from happening.

Systematic- This means simply being thorough. If you must research a topic, being systematic provides the tool to ensure you do not miss a detail.

Logical- This means looking at the natural order of events. Everything happens in the universe in a series of events. Following this series of events back to it's origin can frequently resolve misunderstandings.

Cultural Expertese- Though it is not the most vital characteristic for a diplomat to have, having prior knowledge of a culture is often very helpful to guiding them through a troubled time. It is natural for a diplomat to know their own species thoroughly, such a Klingons knowing Klingon history.

Anticipatory(anticipation)- The best tool of a chess master and a diplomat. To know what your opponent is going to say and do before even your opponent does helps you as a diplomat to circumvent trouble spots in a negotiation.

Historical and Political Knowledge - A key part of being a successful diplomat is to understand the situation on the "other side of the fence." If you can understand the position the other side is on by understanding the circumstances surrounding it, you will be able to come

This last section will help assist you in fulfilling your role of a diplomat to the fullest. Though the following guideline is not always the tool of choice, it offers the beginner diplomat a tool to use for their first assignments.
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Marco Diaz

"well done, you've shown your dedication to be a diplomat.  Please change your avatar to second year cadet"

"Here is yor next assignment"

Hands him another sheet

Next mission...

A convoy of relief supplies heading to Bajor from DS9  is interecepted by several Cardassian ships guarding the border. Their intention is not known. No actions have been made.

Several Days earlier Cardassia issued a statement that they have begun their blockade of Bajor. This clearly violates the weak treaty held there.  And since their entry to the Federation has not been finalized, Starfleet cannot send ships to intervene in the matter.

Your task will be to meet with the highest ranking Cardassian officer and negotiate their immediate withdrawal. Although you should be aware that their claim on Bajor is valid, as it is in their territory.

Bajor has threatened guerilla warfare if any Cardassians step foot on the surface.

What would you do in this case?  Good Luck Cadet
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Marco Diaz

Mission 4

A new and rich source of dilithium has been discovered on the moon of a Romulan held system.  The system in question is in their territory, but close enough to the neutral zone that the Federation could not pass it up.

Obviously we would like to take all avenues to obtain said dilithium, which is why we would offer a stronger peace treaty with the Romulans in exhange for that system.
Also it is our secret objective to push the idea of expanding our territory to encompass this planet and moon.

The Romulans rich herritage and strong will power will force them to decline our offer.  If we offer peace they will take it, but we want the moon. They will not give it up without a fight. That is the problem, we don't want another fight with them. How can we negotiate this peacefully and without bloodshed?

We should also listen to what they may need in our territory, only as a last resort.

Keep in mind that the Romulans may not agree to any terms they see as unfair, or not in their favor.

What would you do in this case?  Good Luck Cadet
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Ali'aln Tulak

"Mr. Ambassador:
Please understand that we are interested in sharing this valuable resource with you. We don't want to keep it all to ourselves. We were wanting to run tests on this nebula to determine the equisitness of it and also to see if there are any wormholes or other anomalyes in it. We didn't mean anything intrusive by our entrance here at all. What can we do to help resolve this matter?
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

"Not acceptable! On what grounds do you give the terms for more tests? They stop now!"

"Your answers are acceptable for the course. With scenario 2, a good point would also be that, to destroy the enemy race, would be self-destruction.

Excellent work Ensign. You now have DSA credit in Medical and Diplomacy. With that as your course lineup, you are to graduate from the DSA and take to the field"

OOC: You can look at the roster, and in the Open Positions thread (Roster is in General Info forum, Open Positions in this DSA board) for a place of interest. I am happy to assist you with getting in contact with Division/Ship COs to take position.

mimas elfeneye

***Listens very attentive, then thinks awhile
If you were to maintain your assaults on Calos, the only result will be that the federation will send reïnforcements.  Maybe, you want to consider to join the federation after all... I mean, that way, Calos cannot attack you, without consult of the federation alliance.
Furthermore, the federation could help you in the development of your technology, which would make you less vulnarable.
It could, all things well considered, bring peace to your planet...
*** thinks awhile, then writes down notes in his notebook...
Sir, being ambassador of the federation, l take it, l can have contact with Fed HQ, and with the ambassador of Calos.  So, before l would have met you, l would have spoken with the ambassador of Calos... especially inquiring information on the reasons of the dispute, and their position towards accepting you, and your planet, into the Federation...
And, another thing, sir, I sence a lot of fear, in your character, as if he has good reasons not to trust the federation, some counter in the past of some sort...
I take it, this planet is beyond the Federations Border... if that is the case, I surely would recommend Fed HQ to presure Calos government to ceize their attacks, since they are violating inter-spacial law... are they not?

"Yes. This is not an easy situation, since you as a diplomat, you must consider that the two planets have been neighboring planets for a very long time. There could be much to each sides claim, more than they state. Or it could be a simple dispute, but it is for the Ambassador to determine, and investigate. As I had said, without drawing attention to the fact. Show trust in each party, no matter how much trust you personally have".

mimas elfeneye

difficult
please allow me to think over my answers for scenarios 1 & 2, in the third case, i would kindly decline such an offer... Replicators can be used for multiplication of mass destruction weapons... if l have no guarantees that this is not the case, l will not agree with such a trade...  The fact they offer us so much millitary equipment suggest this species is war-minded... l dont like replicators in the hands of war-minded beings...

Yaxara Grax

Scenario 1:
I would tell them that if they fight eachother, both of their worlds would be destroyed(I would tell examples), but IF they unite, they could become an alliance of great power.

Scenario 2:
I check out why don't the neighboring species like the treaty. If they think that that cooperation would be a threat to their world, I propose that they and the negotiating species sign a pact of non agression, and/or that the neighboring race also becomes a part of the alliance.

Scenario 3:
I inquire how would the use the replicator. Since they are offering us weapons, I believe that they are not in an urgent need of replicating them. But I don't see why should we agree to sharing our technology when we can easily replicate weapons.
http://imageshack.us" target="_blank">http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4338/bet1ja.jpg" border="0">