• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 7

Started by Marco Diaz, December 14, 2005, 02:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco Diaz

Good,  to start, which field have you chosen to follow

Counselling or Diplomacy?
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

pfakkert

Goodmorning sir.
There is more than one reasons for me to become a diplomat.
First of all is the fact that i'm quite open-minded and am able to see the logic in a lot of problems that occur when trying to build a treaty.
Also, as a Romulan, gaining respect with diplomacy is vital once i'm returning to the Romulan home planet as a free-lance diplomat. In the long term I wish to become a Romulan ambassador.
Ensign pfakkert.
Romulan Forth Year Cadet at Deep Space Academy.
Diplomacy classroom.

pfakkert

Thank you for the promotion, sir.
My family on Romulus will be very proud and this will certainly make me perform my duties even better.
I will start with the second test right away!
Ensign pfakkert.
Romulan Forth Year Cadet at Deep Space Academy.
Diplomacy classroom.

Marco Diaz

Considering that you have a valuable knowledge of diplomatics you are hereby promoted to Ensign with high honors.

I am taking a LOA so I posted this here early.  It was a joy reading your solutions, I hope that in your future endevours your CO's see your mastery.

Congratulations Ensign, I will also recommend that you be promoted to Lieutenant.
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

"Any asset to you? So the Federation scouts for what they are interested in and rushes in to be first to have it for the prize? No matter who is in the way!"

Commentary: You notice my entire response is based off of something you have said. That will be common, and at times unavoidable in talking with aggressive diplomats, or diplomats who feel they are at a disadvantage.

Ali'aln Tulak

Sir, I will inform the command of this vessel and we will leave immediately.
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

"You should have it, if your main course here is Diplomacy.

I will begin: Your communication skills are paramount. You never want to be misunderstood to who you are interacting with, as even a misunderstanding, meaningless to some, can set the 'tone' at negative. And so the first point to remember, avoid at all costs creating negative feelings. Bitterness will make talks difficult.

Learning to 'read' who you deal with is also important. What do they like? What do they dislike? Passive or aggressive? If a representative seems set on continuing or worsening conflict, make all attempts to discover why. Without actually coming out and asking.

Now to the interesting aspect of my doing this course. Scenario training.
The situation: You are a Federation ambassador. I am a representative from X species. My species' planet has been at odds with another species and thier planet, who are very nearby. Our technology is limited, and the planet we are in dispute with is a member of the Federation, with far better technology. We have weapons which do damage to thier outposts, and that makes us a potential threat to the Federation membered people. You are in talks with my species' representative (which I play) to resolve the situation. I will begin":

"That planet as a Federation member is bringing many new threats to our people, who are independent of any Federation. You people have the Romulans, Klingons, who are not always friendly with you. Not to mention that you brought the Dominion into your home quadrant! We will not cease our assaults on Calos (planet name of the Federation planet) untill they pull OUT of the Federation!"

mimas elfeneye

what are they fighting over?

Ali'aln Tulak

Scenario 1: Create a treaty between the two that give each other positive attributes but also limit what they can do in each other's space.

Scenario 2: Show both sides the good & the bad of the treaty and create a new treaty that meets both sides terms and agreements.

Scenario 3: Check to see if the weapon supplies are legitmate and according to the Starfleet regulations. Then agree with the trade and give them something in return to keep good terms with the species.
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

"To continue to the last bit, since I am assured by your performance so far, that you are well meant for Diplomacy. I have some scenario questions for you. After some info:

Planetary/Space dispute - Species facing aggression to each other for some sort of area dispute. This is usually trivial, but at times can become dangerous and war-like. Never treat a case lightly

Action Dispute - If a Federation starship did something known as unauthorized in a place which is dictated by a species or other.

Peace Talks/Treaties - One of the most important functions. Diplomacy is the key in keeping peace. Reaching agreement and compromise. Key word, compromise for all.

And now, to the Scenarios. Respond to them in your methods of dealing with the situation. Remember that not all situations are black and white, but some are just that".

Scenario 1: War is on the brink between two alien species. They both have technology to destroy each others planet in an instant, and they show all intent on destroying each other totally. What point can be made to implore them to reconsider options?

Scenario 2: One peacefull race is in talks for a treaty of peace and cooporation within thier space. A neighboring planet's species dislikes this agreement, and has sent thier own representative, who constantly provides negative input to the talks. What do you do?

Scenario 3: A species offers unlimited weapons supplies for a Starfleet replicator. How do you approach this?

"Excellent. You have now completed the Diplomacy course of the Deep Space Academy. You may begin your career in Starfleet at the rank of Ensign (Command Red Uniform/Avatar)

The fleet crew roster does not outline positions as a diplomat, but places such as Frontier Station, and SS Avalon might be in the need of a Starfleet Ambassador. If you do not feel you would like to be only an Ambassador, you are always free to take another field course in the academy. If you have any questions or need assistance in your placement into the field, I am glad to help".