• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 6

Started by Richard Ransom, November 08, 2005, 12:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T'mpal

"While setting up travel arrangements to travel to the Lollypop, I would attempt to contact the Klingon Homeworld, to confirm that there was an attack.  If confirmation is recieved, I would travel to the Lollypop to begin an inquiry.  Realizing that the CO is hostile to JAGs I would bring only one  or two members with me, if necessary (I would try not to bring any). Upon arrival, I would ask to speak with the CO.  Again keeping in mind he is not fond of JAG investigators, I would let him know that this is only a formality and I was given my orders just as he was given his.  I would assure him that I would stay out of his and his crews way as much as I could.  After meeting with the CO I would access sensor logs and conduct interviews with the crew who were on-duty at the time, conducting these interviews as they got off duty.  The interviews and the logs, providing there was no tampering of evidence, should provide enough information for a preliminary decision, which I would transmit with a reccomendation to my superior and the COs superior."

"Assuming for the moment that the CO decides not to cooperate during any of the process.  There are a couple options open: 1) I could secure a search order to compel either or both the required personnel and/or records or 2) I could refer charges of obstructing a JAG investigation to my superior.  On my part there must be an understanding that he is a Captain and the CO of the ship, where I am a lieutenant and a guest.  But he too must realize that I am conducting a JAG investigation and that UCSJ requires that he cooperates fully."
Logic requires order, order requires law, law requires logic.

Richard Ransom

Execlent job on that now to the second Discussion

*******Discusstion two********

the Federation Starship Phoniex was on Patrol of sector 34678 when the Chief Enginer was sucked out of the Air lock

the Phoniex was recalled to Starbase 223 and a pre J.A.G Investagations was conducted

*****PADD INFORMATION*****
Report:A-32
Conducted by: Engsign Willium Tuttle, J.A.G Sector 23

A J.A.G Investgation was called when the Phoniex was on Patrol the Cheif Engining Officer was sucked into space.The cago bay were the Chief Enginer was was sealed close and there were no Computer maifunction. The Computer logs show that there was a secuitey override to the safty protocols and the Cago bay was decommpressed at 1400 hours while the Chief Enginer was in there the Chief Enginer tryed to escape but the main door to access the Cargo bay was sealed close.
the following was the evadence gathered
on the Starship Phoniex only three pepole on Bord the Phoniex would have the secuity codes and knowlage of the secuity systems to de commpress the Cargo Bay.
1. Captian Bill Parker Commanding Officer
2. Lieutennent Frank Decker Chief Tatical Officer
3. Lieutennent Wayne Bush Asstance Cheif Enginer

these are the three subpecs in this case the Commanding officer of the Phoniex has blamed the Chief Enginer on many times that he is to be blamed ti his sisters death.
the Tatical Officer was Married to the Captians Sister and has the same feelings as the Captian
the Asstance Enginer was past over by Promotion when the Chief Enginer was chossen.
the Computer Display showed a Access Code to de commpress the cargo bay but most of the Code was delete but a small sample survived,
Code:Alpha24Delta34
This code was found to be part of all three officers access codes the last part of the code was deleted form the Computer Logs.after the Interviews it is found only three days before the incdent the Chief Enginer was seen Aurguing with this three Officers. In My Professtional Opinion this case should be transfered to a formal Invesagation

Signed
Eng.Willium Tuttle, J.A.G Invesatagtor Sector 23
**** End of PADD information****

Using the Evansence shown with out reasonble doubt conduction a formal Investagation and Prove who Murdered the Cheif Enginer. the Internal Sensours showed at the Time of the Murder all  Three Officers were together.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:Richard Ransom
Postion:Pending

William Taylor

There are 2 possible scenarios to approach.

1. The Captain was becoming out of line and a threat to the lives of the crew. The senior officers decided to remove him however he decided not to allow this and put up a fight. Most likley using crew loyal to him to fight hence the number of deaths and trace of phaser fights. Also explaining the image of the First Officer. He then seeing he would lose attempted to destroy the ship by means of the warp core. However the chief Engineer overode it with the XO.

2. The Senior officers who survived were plotting to kill the captain and make it look like him losing his mind or such in scenario number one. The ship was set for refit. They would have a good deal of power on that kind of ship. they may have been dealing with other races. Races who give a high price for those kinds of vessels, or vessels designs and systems.

Of course all theorys would be reviewed by a JAG panel and investigated by Starfleet Security alongside JAG officers.
http://archive.expansionfleet.com/charpics/hogan.jpg" border="0">
Ensign William Taylor
Operations Officer - USS Rivendell

He stood next to  wall panel in the office over the screen and brought up an overview.
"The Judge Advocate General are the law officers of Starfleet. It is the place of the JAG department and its officers to provide supervision, and at times to show evidence in a hearing or court marshalling case".
He changed it to another text.
"But one of the first things you need to know, is that nobody, nobody, below the rank of captain has the clearance to actually assign a court marshall to an insubordinate officer. The same for you as a JAG officer, you must be of Captain or higher to be the one who considers if a court marshall is valid. But in the general line officer ranking on ships, stations, and other: The officers Captain and above have direct clearance to call for a court marshall, and this call MUST be considered in a good time and fashion by the JAG officer present. If the officer who called for the court marshall presents evidence or reasoning that is obviously rediculous or not enough, that officer has provided reason to be called for a court marshall".
He brought a rank chart up.
"Only officers of the rank Commander and higher may be judge's on a panel for a court marshall. That is another important thing to know".
He put the screen to its default and remained standing.
"That finishes the slightly slow part, which shows the jurisdiction. We have now covered it in good time. Now, to the things I would like to spend time discussing in depth on, where I am not just instructing".
He took a seat for a time of talking.
"What several people do not know, and what puts less interest in the minds of the cadets on this field, is that JAG officers are
not only law officers. The commander of a JAG district and office is responsible for the welfare, morale, disipline of the officers. One of the most key things to morale is to provide support. Legal support, as mental is provided by counselors and medical staff. But if an officer is reluctant to make an action, consult with them and make sure they know to come to you for consultation. Issues in the command structure, abuse by ranking officers, ignoring and insubordination of rank are the most common things JAG officers will see".
He paused.
"That is alot of information at once for you Cadet, so lets take it smooth for a while. I would like to hear your thoughts, questions, anything for some discussion. Sometimes discussion is more informative than straight up instructing, as I said".

"Very well. I have covered the information you will need to know, for sure, when you enter the field. So I am happy to inform you of your graduation from this course. You may search now for a postion, I wish you luck in your starfleet career".

Joe Braxton

"Aye, sir!"

*And Braxton started memorizing all 40 ranks in the overview.*
Joe Braxton
J.A.G. Cadet
Engineering Cadet

Jethro Gibbs

Cadet Gibbs enters the JAG Class room ready to begin his training.
Cadet
Judge Advicote General (In Training)

Tom Hobson

"Correct, both of you".

He brought up the next bit of information on the screen.

JAG Investigations

Most JAG offices retain several highly trained investigators to inquire into wrongdoing, or possible wrongdoing. Typically, these investigators travel with their own security teams, and standard protocol calls for a starship captain (or starbase commander) to put the ship's (or base's) security forces at a visiting investigator's disposal. Their task is to gather facts and evidence and determine if a court martial is warranted. JAG investigations continue until the case is solved, or no clear determination can be made (at which point the file is left open until new evidence may be brought to light). Although all Starfleet captains can call for a JAG investigation of personnel under their command, most ranking officers prefer to conduct their own inquiries and submit their own subordinates for court martial. Normally, JAG investigators become involved in a case only when a member of Starfleet is accused of wrongdoing by someone outside of his chain of command. If no JAG officer is available to conduct an investigation, it falls to the highest ranking officer to appoint and investigator - normally the ship's Security Chief.

Starfleet personnel who show particular aptitude in law, or who attended law school on their homeworlds, are frequently tapped to serve in the JAG Corps for at least one tour of duty. This is not restricted to those with a legal bent, however. The JAG officer requires officers with a nose for the truth and an unswerving devotion to the principles, rules, and regulations that govern Starfleet. Security officers, science officers, or other experts in the field could find themselves detailed to the JAG Corps for a particular investigation. The Center for Advanced Training provides classes to those who desire legal training, most notably those Command personnel aiming for promotion to Starfleet's upper echelons.

"JAG investigations work may be the most common you both face. Please read over the information provided for this class session, and inform me when you are finished".

Courts Martial

Although most infractions can be handled through less severe reprimands, or short incarceration in a brig, some crimes are so severe as to warrant a court martial. A court martial is a trial under Starfleet's Uniform Code of Justice, as opposed to Federation civilian law, and is conducted by a committee of officers.

Any officer of the rank of Captain or higher can submit a subordinate officer for immediate court martial (though frivolously abusing this right is itself a court martial offense). Officers of the Judge Advocate General's office have the power to submit any member of Starfleet for court martial, as long as they first submit an approved finding to a JAG officer of the rank of Captain or higher. Once it has been called, a court martial is typically convened within seventy-two hours. As part of the formal order of court martial, the presiding representative of the JAG's office nominates both a prosecuting advocate and an advocate for defense. Typically, both advocates are officers from the local JAG office, however, the JAG representative can nominate any available Starfleet officers as ad hoc advocates. The accused always had the right to refuse the nominated defense advocate and either serve as his own lawyer or appoint an eligible officer of his choice.

A panel of three judges presides over a court martial proceeding, usually officers from the JAG office. If none are available, the JAG office typically appoints an ad hoc judge - the fleet admiral for the sector. Only officers ranked Commander or higher can serve as judges, and no officer with an obvious conflict of interest, such as friendship, is allowed to serve. If possible the JAG representative who signs the order for court martial appoints a full three-judge panel.

Procedurally, a court martial is handed very much like a civilian crime trial. Both sides make opening statements, the prosecution presents its witnesses and evidence, the defense presents its case, and both sides make closing arguments. Each side had the right to cross-examine the witness presented by the other side, and almost all the rules of evidence and courtroom procedure applicable to civilian trials apply equally to courts martial. Unlike civilian trials, however, court martial proceedings do not employ juries; guilt or innocence is determined by the panel of judges. Courts martial tend to be less formal affairs, moving along at a much faster pace than a civilian trial, and rarely take more than a week to complete.

In the next chapters, we will go more into specific detail on JAG procedures.
Admiral Thomas Hobson
Deep Space Academy CO/Fleet High Command
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/imamessas/ASWarmingUp6.gif" border="0">
http://www.geocities.com/stborderland/stb.html" target="_blank">Star Trek: Borderland

Bud Roberts

OoC: Sorry that I've been gone for a bit, too.

IC: "So, what's next?"
-Cadet Bud Roberts

Richard Ransom

A Lieutennent Entered the Room full of Cadets.
*the Cadets stood at attenstion*
As you were.
as you Know we are in War Satus and most COmbat line Officers are on the front lines so your intructer for this term which you will get a honnor of knowing is  Admiral Richard Ransom he is one of the younger Admiral joining the ranks of the Admirty Admiral Ransom confaded to me that he is sorry that he coulded attend your first class but he had to moblized his Division and sit on the Front lines.

Computer Display RansomLesson1
RETURN TO MAIN DATABASE

Jurisdiction

Under the jurisdiction of the Chief of Fleet Operations, the Office of the Judge Advocate General enforced all administrative law within the ranks of Starfleet. The JAG carries out investigations of wrong-doing by Starfleet officers and convenes courts martial when necessary. Although the Judge Advocate General herself is headquartered at Starfleet Command, the JAG maintains offices on all major starbases. Any incident requiring the intervention of the JAG is referred to the nearest local office, though extremely important cases or those involving high-ranking officers are often pulled back to Starfleet Command for the JAG's personal attention.

In addition to upholding Starfleet's Uniform Code of Justice, the JAG investigates and prosecutes cases involving violations of Starfleet's General Orders, the Constitution of the United Federation of Planets, and the laws of Federation member worlds. The Judge Advocate General's office has jurisdiction over any member of Starfleet accused of wrongdoing, even if the violation occurred under local law. Normally, on a member planet, local authorities remand the accused officer to Starfleet's custody, and the officer is tried under the Uniform Code of Justice. On a non-aligned planet, however, this is largely a question of custody; once in an alien jail, it is within the planet's rights to try the accused. Starfleet, however, works hard to convince the planet's government to surrender the accused for court martial proceedings. This isn't always successful, and more than one officer had faced trial on an alien world, under unfamiliar (and sometimes poorly understood) laws. Often, in the case of laws broken on a nonmember world, the JAG office will invite a representative of the local government to observe, or even present evidence.

JAG Investigations

Most JAG offices retain several highly trained investigators to inquire into wrongdoing, or possible wrongdoing. Typically, these investigators travel with their own security teams, and standard protocol calls for a starship captain (or starbase commander) to put the ship's (or base's) security forces at a visiting investigator's disposal. Their task is to gather facts and evidence and determine if a court martial is warranted. JAG investigations continue until the case is solved, or no clear determination can be made (at which point the file is left open until new evidence may be brought to light). Although all Starfleet captains can call for a JAG investigation of personnel under their command, most ranking officers prefer to conduct their own inquiries and submit their own subordinates for court martial. Normally, JAG investigators become involved in a case only when a member of Starfleet is accused of wrongdoing by someone outside of his chain of command. If no JAG officer is available to conduct an investigation, it falls to the highest ranking officer to appoint and investigator - normally the ship's Security Chief.

Starfleet personnel who show particular aptitude in law, or who attended law school on their homeworlds, are frequently tapped to serve in the JAG Corps for at least one tour of duty. This is not restricted to those with a legal bent, however. The JAG officer requires officers with a nose for the truth and an unswerving devotion to the principles, rules, and regulations that govern Starfleet. Security officers, science officers, or other experts in the field could find themselves detailed to the JAG Corps for a particular investigation. The Center for Advanced Training provides classes to those who desire legal training, most notably those Command personnel aiming for promotion to Starfleet's upper echelons.

Courts Martial

Although most infractions can be handled through less severe reprimands, or short incarceration in a brig, some crimes are so severe as to warrant a court martial. A court martial is a trial under Starfleet's Uniform Code of Justice, as opposed to Federation civilian law, and is conducted by a committee of officers.

Any officer of the rank of Captain or higher can submit a subordinate officer for immediate court martial (though frivolously abusing this right is itself a court martial offense). Officers of the Judge Advocate General's office have the power to submit any member of Starfleet for court martial, as long as they first submit an approved finding to a JAG officer of the rank of Captain or higher. Once it has been called, a court martial is typically convened within seventy-two hours. As part of the formal order of court martial, the presiding representative of the JAG's office nominates both a prosecuting advocate and an advocate for defense. Typically, both advocates are officers from the local JAG office, however, the JAG representative can nominate any available Starfleet officers as ad hoc advocates. The accused always had the right to refuse the nominated defense advocate and either serve as his own lawyer or appoint an eligible officer of his choice.

A panel of three judges presides over a court martial proceeding, usually officers from the JAG office. If none are available, the JAG office typically appoints an ad hoc judge - the fleet admiral for the sector. Only officers ranked Commander or higher can serve as judges, and no officer with an obvious conflict of interest, such as friendship, is allowed to serve. If possible the JAG representative who signs the order for court martial appoints a full three-judge panel.

Procedurally, a court martial is handed very much like a civilian crime trial. Both sides make opening statements, the prosecution presents its witnesses and evidence, the defense presents its case, and both sides make closing arguments. Each side had the right to cross-examine the witness presented by the other side, and almost all the rules of evidence and courtroom procedure applicable to civilian trials apply equally to courts martial. Unlike civilian trials, however, court martial proceedings do not employ juries; guilt or innocence is determined by the panel of judges. Courts martial tend to be less formal affairs, moving along at a much faster pace than a civilian trial, and rarely take more than a week to complete.

In the next chapters, we will go more into specific detail on JAG procedures.

Introduction
1-1. The theater strategic environment consists of a variety of conditions-- political, economic, and military--and a range of threats--low to high. A wide range of operations can occur in response to these conditions and threats. These operations form the operational continuum and occur within three general states: peacetime competition, conflict, and war. SF 100-5, Operations, and SF 100-10, Combat Service Support, recognize Starfleet must be capable of operating effectively across the operational continuum and in any environment.

Legal operations must be equally flexible. Legal operations apply to all conflict tenets of initiative, agility, depth, and synchronization and the service support imperatives of anticipation, integration, continuity, responsiveness, and improvisation to provide responsive legal services to the commander.

The Judge Advocate General's Corps
1-2. Reflecting Starfleet's strategic roles in an increasingly complex universe, the JAGC provides mission essential legal services in many different fields, including military justice, planetary contracting, claims, litigation, operational law, interplanetary law, legal assistance, environmental law, mobilization law, and more. All members of the Judge Advocate General's Corps--judge advocates, legal warrant officers, legal noncommissioned officers, legal specialists, and court reporters--provide professional legal services to Starfleet.

Mission
1-3. Starfleet's mission is to:

a. Provide a visible, credible, and realistic capability to support the Federation's political initiatives.

b. Deter war against the Federation.

c. Win and terminate a conflict on terms favorable to the Federation if war should occur.

d. Research and exploration of space.

1-4. The JAGC's primary mission in a theater of operations is to support the commander of his assigned unit by providing professional legal services as far forward as possible at all echelons of command throughout the operational continuum.

Legal services
1-5. Legal personnel provide legal services in the form of professional advice, representation, support, research, training, and assistance designed to resolve legal issues to commanders, staffs, and other authorized personnel. The commander determines legal requirements based on the mission and the law. Legal services are an element of the Personnel Support Services (PSS) mission area and support the Command and Control and Combat Service Support (CSS). Three types of legal services exist: organizational, judicial, and defense.

1-6. Organizational legal services sustain the organization. Organizational legal services support:

a. Commanders. The commander is responsible for the unit's good order, discipline, morale, and welfare. The commander must command and employ his forces in accordance with the law. Legal personnel provide all commanders the legal services necessary to properly execute these responsibilities under the law, customs, and traditions of Starfleet service.

b. The organization. Legal operations increase unit readiness in peace and enhance combat effectiveness in war. In peace, legal operations ensure the organization is prepared to mobilize, deploy, and fight. During conflict, legal operations help sustain the organization.

c. Starfleet Personnel. The key to an organization's readiness is the individual persons readiness and morale. Legal personnel provide legal services-such as legal assistance and claims--to personnel, their family members, and other authorized personnel to maintain a high degree of personal readiness and morale. Legal services, including judicial and defense legal services, also maintain discipline and morale by assuring the fair and impartial administration of justice.

1-7. Judicial legal services secure fair and impartial justice proceedings within Starfleet. Starfleet trial and appellate judges provide judicial legal services.

a. Military trial judges preside over general and special courts-martial. They perform all judicial duties required or authorized by law, including the Uniform Code of Starfleet Justice (UCSJ), the Manual for Courts-Martial, and regulation. These duties are similar to those of planetary district court judges presiding over criminal cases. Starfleet trial judges also perform magistrate duties, such as issuing authorizations to search for and seize evidence based on probable cause. To ensure the fact and appearance of impartiality, Starfleet judges are assigned to and rated by senior members of Starfleet's Trial Judiciary, which is independent of the units they serve. (The only exception being Starfleet judges assigned to Judge Advocate General Service Organization senior judge or judge teams)

b. Starfleet appellate judges sit on the Starfleet Court of Review (SCR). SCR reviews cases referred to it and affirms only findings of guilty and sentences supported by the law and facts.

1-8. Defense legal services are provided to individual personnel to secure fair and impartial justice and adverse administrative proceedings within Starfleet. Trial and appellate defense counsel provide defense legal services.

a. Trial defense counsel are judge advocates certified by The Judge Advocate General under article 27(b), UCSJ, as competent to perform defense legal services. They represent personnel before courts-martial, administrative boards, and other proceedings and act as consulting counsel as required by law or regulation or authorized by The Judge Advocate General (TJAG) or TJAG's designee. To ensure the fact and appearance of their independence, all trial defense counsel are assigned to and rated by members of the Starfleet Trial Defense Service, which is independent of the units trial defense counsel serve. (The only exception is trial defense counsel assigned to Judge Advocate General Service Organization court-martial defense teams)

b. Appellate defense counsel represent accused before the SCR, Starfleet Court of Appeals, and the Federation Supreme Court. They also are certified by The Judge Advocate General.

1-9. The JAGC provides legal services in seven functional areas.

a. Administrative Law. Administrative law encompasses the statutes, regulations, and judicial decisions that govern the establishment, functioning, and command of Starfleet organizations. Judge advocates interpret statutes and regulations, provide the commander and staff advice and guidance, and represent Starfleet before administrative and judicial proceedings. Administrative law includes, but is not limited to:

(1) The law of Starfleet installations and the commanded power to command and control the installation (legal basis of command).

(2) Starfleet assistance to civil authorities, which includes the use of forces to assist civilian law enforcement authorities, to restore and maintain public order, and for emergencies and public safety; the loan of military resources; and the role of personnel in civil disturbance operations.

(3) Planetary litigation, which includes judicial review of Starfleet judicial and administrative actions.

(4) Environmental law, which includes domestic--planetary, state, and local--and interplanetary environmental laws affecting the operations of an installation or organization.

(5) Starfleet personnel law, which includes laws and regulations concerning personnel recruitment, mobilization, appointments, promotions, adverse actions, separations, and retirements.

(6) Line of duty investigations and determinations.

(7) Labor and employment law, which includes laws, regulations, and procedures governing recruiting, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining civilian employees; labor-management relations including grievances, arbitrations, and unfair labor practice charges.

(8) Government information practices, which include the Freedom of Information and the Privacy Acts.

(9) The report of survey system.

(10) Nonappropriated fund instrumentalities and private organizations.

(11) Standards of conduct, which include statutory and regulatory guidance governing prohibited activities and conflicts of interest involving active duty, civilian personnel, former employees, and retired active duty and civilian personnel of Starfleet.

b. Claims. Starfleet claims program involves the investigation, processing, and administrative settlement of claims - both by and against Starfleet - interplanetary under statutes, treaties, interplanetary agreements, Starfleet directives, and Starfleet regulations.

(1) The bases for claims against Starfleet include:

a. Damage or injury caused by the negligent or wrongful acts or omissions of Starfleet personnel acting within the scope of their employment.

b. Damage or injury caused by noncombat activities; i.e., activities that are essentially Starfleet in nature and have little parallel in civilian life.

c. Loss, damage, or destruction of personal property of personnel or civilian employees under Direct Authority of Starfleet; e.g., the loss, damage, or destruction of household goods during a permanent change of station move.

d. Unique or special claims provisions.

(2) The bases for claims in favor of Starfleet include:

a. The negligent or intentional infliction of damage to Federation property.

c. Contract Law. Contracting is the principal means by which Starfleet acquires goods and services from the private sector. Judge advocates are involved in all phases of the acquisition process. Contract law judge advocates provide advice concerning acquisition process and statutory and regulatory constraints involved in providing for Starfleet operations. They also provide counsel on the acquisition of goods and services for Starfleet. Contract law includes:

(1) Development, award, and administration of appropriated and nonappropriated contracts.

(2) The proper utilization and expenditure of material.

(3) The operation of the Commercial Activities Program.

(4) The coordination and monitoring of remedies in an effective fraud abatement program.

(5) The application of federation, planetary, and local laws to government contractors.

(6) Contract related litigation, disputes, and protests.

(7) Labor, environmental, and intellectual property law applicable to contractors.

(8) Procurement integrity and contract fraud laws.

(9) Advice for proposed interservice, interdepartmental, and interplanetary agreements for logistic support and for proposed agreements on joint utilization of facilities and real property controlled by Starfleet.

(10) Advice on interplanetary real estate and construction issues.

d. Criminal Law. Criminal law governs the administration of Starfleet justice. It includes the Federation Constitution, the Uniform Code of Starfleet Justice, the Manual for Courts-Martial, implementing regulations, and judicial decisions. Starfleet justice involves the disposition of alleged violations of the UCSJ by judicial (courts-martial), nonjudicial (article 15, UCSJ), or administrative means. Discipline, good order, and morale depend on a fair and properly administered Starfleet justice system. Enforcement of the UCSJ supports the authority of the commander and protects the rights of the individual personnel. In the Starfleet criminal law system:

(1) The commander is responsible for the administration of Starfleet justice. Commanders must communicate directly with their command or staff judge advocate about matters related to the administration of Starfleet justice.

(2) Staff and command judge advocates advise commanders on the disposition of suspected violations of the UCSJ, including those committed by enemy prisoners of war; prosecute trials by courts-martial; and supervise the preparation of records of trial.

(3) The Starfleet Trial Defense Service provides trial defense counsel to represent personnel before courts-martial, adverse administrative boards, and other proceedings as law or regulation requires.

(4) The Starfleet Trial Judiciary provides judges for general and special courts-martial.

(5) Appeals of convicted Starfleet accused may be reviewed by the Starfleet Court of Review (SCR), which is part of Starfleet's Judiciary; the Starfleet Court of Appeals; and the Federation Supreme Court. In cases not reviewed by SCR, a convicted accused may submit an application for relief or petition for new trial to The Judge Advocate General. The Starfleet Legal Services Agency provides appellate government and defense counsel in all appellate proceedings.

e. Interplanetary Law. Interplanetary agreements, interplanetary customary practices, and the general principles of law recognized by civilized worlds comprise interplanetary law. Judge advocates advise commanders and staffs on:

(1) The rights and obligations of the organization under interplanetary law--particularly status of forces and host world support agreements.

(2) Negotiations with foreign governments.

(3) The exercise of criminal jurisdiction over Federation forces and accompanying personnel by foreign governments.

(4) Foreign Law. This includes advice on criminal law, civil law, environmental law, tax law, and labor law of a host world where foreign forces are operating or have an interest.

(5) Legal liaison with the host world and other allied forces.

(6) Other interplanetary law matters.

f. Legal Assistance. Legal assistance is the provision of personal legal services to personnel, their family members, and other authorized personnel. Legal assistance includes advice, representation, and the preparation of legal documents. Personal legal problems, if not attended to, may cause low morale, inefficiency, and disciplinary problems. Legal assistance judge advocates regularly participate in preparation for interplanetary movements (PIM) and emergency deployment readiness exercises (EDRE) to identify and address personnel personal legal problems that could affect adversely their ability to mobilize, deploy, and fight. Legal assistance services include, but are not limited to:

(1) Domestic relations law, which includes divorce, legal separation, annulment, custody, support obligations, and paternity.

(2) Wills and estates.

(3) Adoptions and name changes.

(4) Nonsupport and indebtedness.

(5) Landlord-tenant relations.

(6) Consumer affairs.

(7) Civil suits. Legal assistance attorneys usually cannot represent a client in court, but will explain the procedures and requirements of small claims and similar courts; will negotiate with adverse parties on the client's behalf; and will refer the client to a civilian attorney, if required.

(8) The Starfleet Civil Relief Act.

(9) Veterans' reemployment rights.

(10) Other services with approval of the staff judge advocate.

g. Operational Law. Operational law is the application of domestic, interplanetary, and foreign law to the planning for, training for, deployment of, and employment of Starfleet forces. Operational law legal services increase the effectiveness of Starfleet forces by assisting commanders to employ them lawfully. Just as important, judge advocates identify areas in which planners have been overly restrictive in the use of force in the mistaken belief that the law requires the restrictions. Judge advocates:

(1) Advise the commander, staff, and subordinate commanders on the law of war; all relevant interplanetary law matters, including status of forces and other interplanetary agreements and treaties; and domestic law addressing the use of Starfleet forces abroad, such as the War Powers Resolution. These matters include advice on:

a. Operations plans and orders.

b. Targets and weapons.

c. The investigation and disposition of alleged violations of the law of war (war crimes).

d. Treatment of detainees, enemy prisoners of war, and refugees.

e. The seizure and requisition of private properly for military use.

f. The legal aspects of civil affairs operations.

(2) Prepare legal annexes to operations orders.

(3) Review and interpret rules of engagement.

(4) Provide unit training on the law of war as required by treaty and regulation.
*an Image of Ransom is displayed*
These are the general Orders of the J.A.G core know them well.
your first assisment is one of the most intrestiresting
From both points of view  from the postion of the defence and the prosacustion on the reasons on at the time Commander Spock First Officer and Sicence Officer of NCC 1701 U.S.S Enterprise.
took his former Captian to the forbidden Planet of Talos IV you have until Monday 10:00 PM Eastern Standered Time

Good Luck

Ransom out
*the Image faded*

Well Cadets you better get to Work.
the Lieutennent turns and exits the Room

Richard Ransom

if the evendence is shown that the Captian gave the order to fire and tryed to hide the information and the crew of the lollypop are loyal to the Captian and after you are confined to Quarters how would you relive the Captian from Duty for a court marshal Hearing

T'mpal

"First, in the role of the impartial JAG investigator, upon finding enough evidence to support the claim of the CO firing upon an unarmed vessel, I would submit my preliminary report with all evidence to my superior officer, who holds at least the rank of Captain, with a recommendation to convene a Court Martial.  With the evidence presented at the first part of the question.  The recommendation would be to charge him with attacking an unarmed civilian ship without provocation (violation of the ROE and interstellar law), dereliction of duty for failing to report the incident, and if anyone died negligent homicide.  If the second part of the scenario were true, I would also recommend charges of interfering with a JAG investigation, obstruction of justice, and unlawful detention.  If my superior agrees with my findings, the case will move onto the docket and an Article 32 hearing will be scheduled."

"The Article 32 hearing is the first place in which the adversarial part of the legal system takes effect.  Just as in the Court Martial the prosecution will present its case first.  If I were the prosecutor my main source of evidence would be the sensor log, which I would say (with expert testimony to back-up assertion) clearly showed that the transport was not in an offensive stance and had no weapons that could begin to scratch a Defiant Class ship.  I would argue that the Captain should have been aware of the sensor readings before firing and should have been aware of regulations that prohibit firing on an unarmed vessel."

"As defense council my job would be much more difficult.  The key phrase would be 'Hind sight is 20/20, but things are never as clear at the time.'  I would also have an expert for the defense who would point out an anomalous sensor reading that the prosecution wrote off, but that has a very similar energy pattern to a large weapons array.  Through this I would try to diffuse blame amongst bad sensor readings, a poor interpretation of those same readings, and high stress levels after a long patrol.  I would suggest that, while failing to report the incident to Starfleet Command was a breakdown in procedure, my client would have written up the incident in his final report at the end of the patrol."

"The evidence is too overwhelming for a judge not to hold over the case for Court Martial on at least the charge of firing on a civilian ship.  Within 72 hours, the Court Martial would be convened. The panel would probably consist of a Senior JAG officer, the CO of the station where the trial was being held, and the division or sector CO.  If the evidence in the Court Martial was beyond a reasonable doubt, they would convict; however, if a reasonable doubt remained they must acquit."
Logic requires order, order requires law, law requires logic.

Richard Ransom

Good job good points.

Now I whant an Essay on your knowage of Captian Janways Command to see reason weather or not she should be relieved

William Taylor

"Ok Admiral, i'm ready when you are."
Ensign William Taylor
Operations Officer - USS Rivendell

William Taylor

"No, i understand everything so far."
Ensign William Taylor