• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 3

Started by Mike Nickerson, July 25, 2005, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic Hobson

Hobson returned to the classroom after leaving it for a moment.
"Sir? Is anyone here?"
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7418/cohoshorezo8.jpg" border="0">
Dominic 'Dom' Hobson
Science Officer
Space Station Avalon

Dominic Hobson

"My plans...well, I intend to follow in my family, or my uncle's at least, history. You might know of my uncle, Tom Hobson. I have not seen him in a long time, but I know of his career. I would feel lucky to be given a postion as medical officer on a good ship. To be honest, the dream postion out of the academy is chief medical on a flagship, but a dream is all it is I think. I hope to one day get command experience. Do well on the bridge commanders test and all. And let my feet take me from there on"
Dominic 'Dom' Hobson
Science Officer
Space Station Avalon

zack1392

zack

"Your promotions in rank will be based on your performance, and earning over a period of time. It is always possible for you to be promoted to the position of Chief Medical Officer. Without a doubt, at some point as a Medical Assistant, you will at some point be the Medical Officer in charge. Though it is more appropriate for you, being an Ensign, to  begin as an assistant officer. There is no restriction that I am aware of, of an Ensign taking a CMO position fresh from the Academy. Which ever position appeals the most".

"Ah, good. You chose simular to many Cadets, and wisely at that. Have you studied the information on illnessess and procedures? Those are important among the listings. If you have, do you have any questions on them?".

Ali'aln Tulak

"Ready for my next scenario, sir."
Lt. J.G. Ali'aln Tulak
                       Chief Medical Officer
                          Chief Counselor
                         U.S.S. Lothlorien

Navi

Sir, Cadet Navi Reporting for Medical Training...
http://alertnerd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/saavik.jpg" border="0">
I feel like being logical today.
Navi

Tom Hobson

"Excellent yet again, both of you. We will move to the final leg of in class information study".
The screen yet again provided new information.
Equipment

Alpha Wave Inducer: A device used to enhance sleep in humanoids. But only meant for occasional use.

BioBed: Inbuilt sensor systems allow the biobed to constantly monitor factors such as heart rate, respiration, temperature, etc. These are displayed on a permanent basis, usually on a panel located at the head of the biobed, so as to present the information in the most clearly and easily accessible manner possible. As a backup to the visual presentation, biobeds can be set to give audio information, including normal functions such as heartbeat or automatic alarms should any body function fall outside a pre-set range.

Corticol Stimulator: The Cortical Stimulator is a small device which is used to elevate the activity in the cortex of a patient. The stimulator is typically a small device which is attached to the cranium; it is used on patients who have reduced or damaged brain wave patterns.

Dermal Regenerator: The dermal regenerator is used to repair damage to the skin of the patient, including bruising and lacerations. The device is handheld; the doctor holds it over the damaged area and moves it slowly back and forth. The treatment typically lasts only a matter of a few seconds.

Defibrillator: The defibrillator is a device used to restore sinus rhythm in a patients heart after it has gone into cardiac arrhythmia. Modern defibrillators are portable handheld devices which are placed into contact with the skin directly over the heart; when triggered a computer controlled shock is delivered to the heart.

Drechtal Beams: Surgical device used to sever neural connections

Exoscalpal: Surgical Device used by Starfleet to incise the skin and expose the underlying tissue

HypoSpray: The Hypospray is a simple and effective method of delivering substances intravenously to a patient. The device consists of a spray head which can deliver drugs painlessly through the skin, and even through clothing. Attached to this is a swappable vial which contains the drugs to be delivered. The Hypospray has several major advantages over the syringe; since the skin is not broken by the spray, there is no contamination of the hyposprays tip during an injection. The device can therefore be used repeatedly without any need for sterilization of the tip. The hypospray is also completely painless, which has helped to make the widespread fear of injections a thing of the past.

Medical Tricorders: The standard medical tricorder consists of two components: the medical tricorder and medical tricorder peripheral.
The tricorder serves much like a normal tricorder with an expanded medical database containing information on nearly all humanoid life forms and several hundred DNA-based non-humanioids. The MT can diagnose diseases through an artifically intelligent subprocessor and can suggest courses of treatment. The default POOL setting is either SHIPBOARD, or the nearest medical database for tricorder downloading.
The medical Peripheral serves as a complicated sensing device that provides limited real-time viewing of anatomy as the biobed. Further spectrographic information is also provided by the MP in its function as a portable sensor. The MP detaches from the MT housing and is handheld and moved over parts of the patient anatomy. The MP will pulse with the standard heartbeat and vital sign readings are displayed on the upper surface of the MP housing.

Motor Assist Bands: Four-centimeter wide strap like devices used with neurologically damaged patients. The bands provide electrical stimulation to the patients limbs.

Neural Calipers: medical Instrument used in surgical procedures.

Neural Imaging Scanner: A device used to test the activity of a patients visual cortex.

Neural stimulator: Device used to repolarize neural activity in the brain rapidly. The neural stimulator can repolarize brain neurons which have been depolarized for up to one hour. The devices has several settings, and is used to resuscitate brain function after critical trauma

Neural Transducers: Implanted bioelectric devices that receive nerve impulses from and brain and transmit them to any affected voluntary muscle group.

Neurolink: Emergency medical technique used for the stabilization of patients with brainstem injuries. Matching neural pads are placed on a healthy individual and a matching unit on the patient. These devices enabled a link to be established from the healthy persons autonomic nervous system to that of the injured patient.

Physiostimulator: medical Device used to elevate metabolic functions in an impaired individual.

Plasma Infusion Unit: medical Device used to dispense fluids and electrolytes.

Stasis Units: Containing device that supports life by slowing down all biological activity within the perimeter of the unit. The device is designed to work with stasis medication, but can work without it.
Stasis units contain a generator that will support life at very decreased rates and are used for transport of critically injured patients for treatment at a medical facility. Portable stasis units can also be used in the field, coming both in collar form (Class B) and 5cm x 5 cm form (Class C).

Somnetic Inducers: A small neural pad used to aid the induction of sleep in humanoids. Can be used regularly.

Subdurmal Scalpel: The subdermal scalpel is used for making incisions beneath the skin without breaking the skin itself. It therefore allows purely internal surgery to be performed, reducing the risk of infection and the need for instruments such as dermal regenerators

Procedures

Accelerated Critical Neural Pathway Formation: Medical procedure that uses genetic recoding to alter the brain of a humanoid patient.
This procedure is banned in the Federation and has been illegal under laws dating back to the end of the Eugenics Wars.

Amniotic Scan: Sensor readings of the fluid contained within the amniotic sac of a mammalian pregnancy. Such a scan can provide a wealth of information about the fetus, including its sex.

ARA Scan (Autonomic Response Analysis): medical scan that can be used to determine the truthfulness of a humanoid subject.

Basilar Arterial Scan: medical diagnostic test that evaluates the arteries in the brainstern.

Berylite scan: medical procedure used aboard Federation starships

Bicaridine treatment: Regenerative therapy for fracture patients. It is used as a substitute in patients that are allergic to metorapan

Biomimetic Fluctuation: medical reading in Founders that are indicative of dangerous instability of the morphogenic matrix.

Blood Screening: medical test used by Federation personnel to identify shape-shifters. This was considered necessary because of the possibility that shape-shifting Founders had taken humanoid form and infiltrated the Federation and other Alpha Quadrant powers.
The test involves removing a small sample of blood from an individual's body. If the individual is a changeling, the blood would revert to a gelatinous orange fluid.

Brain circuitry pattern: medical diagnostic image mapping neural activity in a humanoid brain. The BCP of each individual is unique, and this serves as a postive means of identification.

Cardiac replacement: Surgical procedure in which a patient's diseased or injured heart is replaced by an artificial device. The technique was developed by Dr. Van Doren.

Cardiac Induction: Emergency medical resuscitative measure.

CPK levels: A medical test performed on board Federation starships. CPK, or creatinine phosphokinase, is a marker of muscular damage. It is mostly used to diagnose cardiac damage.

Cryogenic Open Heart Procedure: Surgical procedure

Cryonics: Old practice of cryogenically freezing a human just after death in the hopes that future medical advances would render their sickness curable.

Cryostasis: medical procedure used to slow down biological functions in a critically injured patient, allowing the physician more time to correct the malady.

Direct reticular stimulation: medical procedure in which electrical energy is applied directly to the nervous system of a humanoid patient in an attempt to revive neural activity. A device called a neural stimulator is used in this procedure

DNA reference scan: medical test to confirm an individual's identity by matching DNA patterns.

Dolbargy Sleeping Trance: Voluntarily induced deep coma.

Electrophoretic Energy Analysis: Electrophoresis is a process by which proteins are identified by putting them on a gel and running an electric current through the gel, then staining the gel and measuring how far the proteins moved in comparison to a group of standard proteins that were also put on the gel (bigger proteins move slower, in general.)

Encephalographic polygraph scan: A brainwave scan used to determine truthfulness during questioning

Hyperencephalogram: medical test that records and measures brain wave activity.

Inner Nuncial Series: A battery of neurological tests.

Metorapan treatments: Regenerative treatment for fracture patients.

Myocardial Enzyme Balance: medical test used in surgical, particularly cardiac procedures.

Neural Imaging Scan: medical diagnostic scan used to test the acuity of the patient's visual cortex.

Neurolink: Emergency medical technique used for the stabilization of patients with brainstem injuries. Matching neural pads were used. One would be placed on a healthy individual and a matching unit on the patient. These devices enabled a link to be established from the healthy person`s autonomic nervous system to that of the injured patient.

Neurosomatic Technique: Procedure used on the planet Tilonus IV in an attempt to extract strategic information.

Reflection Therapy: Psychiatric technique used on the planet Tilonus IV in which the patient's brain is scanned and images from brain areas that control emotions and memory are projected holographically. The patient then interacts with holographic images which represent various facets of his personality.

Resonance Tissue Scan: medical diagnostic test used by Starfleet physicians to screen for infection.

Retinal Imaging Scan: medical test used to verify the presence or absence of activity in the visual cortex.

Ribosome Infusion: medical procedure to help the exposure of certain radiation.

Robbiani Dermal Optic Test: medical diagnostic test that registers a subject's emotional structure through skin and pupil response to visual stimulation at specific color wavelengths.

Steinman Analysis: medical test noting individual specific data such as voice analysis and brain patterns.

Synaptic Induction: Technique in neurotheraphy used for patients suffering from traumatic memory loss.

Synaptic Reconstruction: Surgery which neutralizes the synaptic pathways responsible for deviant behavior

"Study this information. Cadet Navi, the Basilar Arterial Scan might be used with what illness or situation? Only one if there are multiple. Or if there are none, indicate that. Cadet Coho, The Corticol Stimulator might be used during what illness or situation?".

Hobson awaited the Cadets' responses.
Admiral Thomas Hobson
Deep Space Academy CO/Fleet High Command
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/imamessas/ASWarmingUp6.gif" border="0">
http://www.geocities.com/stborderland/stb.html" target="_blank">Star Trek: Borderland

Egan Coho

"I will do that".
Coho takes the treated bandaging and wraps the burn.
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3586/cohoegansg9.jpg" border="0">
Egan F. Coho

Navi

::looks to Patient::

"You'll be fine, be careful with those phasers... Coho, again pleasure working with you..."
http://alertnerd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/saavik.jpg" border="0">
I feel like being logical today.
Navi

Egan Coho

Coho stared at the readings on the tricorder.
"Stable so far...everything is responding well".
Egan F. Coho

Egan Coho

Coho compiled the list intently.
STARFLEET PADD
--------------------
*Tricordrazine-Chemical
*Altarian encephalitis-Memory effecting illness
*Aphasia-Brain cell destroying illness
*Darnay's disease-Brain illness
*Forrester-Trent Syndrome-Degenerative neurological disorder
*Iresine Syndrome-Neurological disorder
*Neural depletion-deadly illness
*Neural metaphasic shock-deadly neurological problem
*Tuvan syndrome-Neurological illness
*Corticol Stimulator
*Drechtal Beams-Severs beams
*Motor Assist Bands
*Neural Imaging Scanner
*Neural stimulator
*Neural Transducers
*Neurolink
*Accelerated Critical Neural Pathway Formation
*Basilar Arterial Scan
*Direct reticular stimulation
*Hyperencephalogram
*inner Nuncial Series
*Neural Imaging Scan
*Neurolink
*Neurosomatic Technique
*Reflection Therapy
*Steinman Analysis
*Synaptic Induction
-----------------------
"Wow, I never imagined that much of this was on the brain...".
Egan F. Coho

Mike Nickerson

"Welcome to your first class, cadets. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Doctor Nickerson, and I'll be teaching Emergency Medical Training."
Fleet Captain Michael Nickerson
Chief Medical Officer,
Avalon Station
"Far be it for me to turn up the chance to be a hero..."

Dominic Hobson

ok. I'll wait for the medical teacher. Don't know if theres an Intelligence one?
Dominic 'Dom' Hobson
Science Officer
Space Station Avalon

Regina Richwald

"Well cadet, if you studie hard and work for 101% youre dreams might become reality. You know what, why dont we start right away. Get a PADD from the table and follow me to the trainingssickbay."

*Cadet Hobson and Regina Richwald walk into sickbay, the sickbay is an exact copie of the ones they have on the starships*

"Ok cadet, I like you to tell me what kind of things do you recognise and what is theire purpose, so I can see the level of youre medical knowledge, and ofcourse you write them down for youreself on youre PADD."
http://archive.expansionfleet.com/charpics/shelby.jpg" border="0">