• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Nightmare not over yet

Started by Vorak, September 03, 2005, 12:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucasbailey

same here, in my town its up to 3.58$, the lowest is about 3.19... http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>
Admiral (Dr.) Lucas Bailey (Retired)

Will Karelia

I say this with first-hand knowledge; Americans are the first to complain about everything. I'm proud of my nation, but it's true. We have nowhere near the highest prices in the world, when many countries in Europe pay the equivalent of six dollars per gallon.

But that's not the real problem here. A deadly storm has utterly destroyed one of the US's largest cities, crime lords rule unchecked throughout the remnants of the aforementioned city, and we don't have the resources to properly and swiftly deal with this catastrophe. I am very grateful the military has been sent in to New Orleans. Perhaps martial law will help reclaim the domestic tranquility that was shattered by those crime lords.
Name: Karelia, William Michael
Assignment: Commanding Officer, Avalon Division
                        Executive Officer, Expansion Task Force

http://www.expansionfleet.com/medals/meritoriousservice.gif" border="0">
"I'm glad that Karelia always understands the things, which I don't..." - Fleet Admiral Montrell

No, I don't think it was understood well.
I started talking about something current, something that might be news to maybe a few people. You don't need to jump down anyones throat implying that nobody cares about the crisis from the Hurricane here.

lucasbailey

Well, not much of "whose fault it is" matters now, #### happend, we need to deal with it.

lucasbailey

I have to agree with hobson in this. http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>

Vorak

Days after the the destructive hurricane Katrina has passed through New Orleans, the huge consequences are starting to become clear. Possibly, the hurricane did not demand hundreds, but thousands of victims. Because of the total chaos in the destroyed areas, offering efficient help is impossible. Even now, people are waiting on the roof of their flooded houses, until they are rescued.

Experts state that the American government was not prepared for such a disaster. All resources and finances go to the "fight against terrorism". The New York Times even states that the latest speech of Bush was one of the worst in his career; it completely lacks compassion.

But the nightmare is not over yet, and more destructive hurricanes are expected. The American National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)  predicts that 21 more tropical storms will take place before the end of the hurricane season on november 30. That means that America, Mexico and the Carribean can expect ten to twelve more hurricanes this year, including a large hurricane with the same destructive force as Katrina. Not all the hurricans that develop above the ocean, will reach land however.

The cause of this "very active" hurricane season is probably the warming up of the ocean water, NOAA states. If the sea water gets warmer than 27°C, the air humidity gets so high that a hurricane or cyclone can develop. After that, a hurricane only needs warm water and the right wind to grow in strength.

Meanwhile, in Asia, Shangai, the tyfoon Talim already causes serious problems. About 600.000 Chinese people were evacuated as a precaution, when the hurricane from Taiwan reached the Chinese south coast. Near a fisher village, waves were recorded of 10m high! The tyfoon raged at 184 km/h.

From freemetro.be
Flag Admiral Vorak
CO Expansion Fleet

Julia Rellek

We aren't out in Ohio but it's up. The cheapest i've seen it is 2.99. Average is about 3.09-3.19.
Name: Rellek, Julia Marie
Position: Member of High Command

"Fortune favors the bold"

Vorak

Maybe there would have been more resources to SAVE people, if most of them hadn't been used to KILL people in Iraq instead...
Flag Admiral Vorak
CO Expansion Fleet

Will Karelia

I understand, however, some of us don't have the money to donate. I have a rent to pay, a child to feed, and bills to pay. I have a nice-paying job, but I'm not rich.
Name: Karelia, William Michael
Assignment: Commanding Officer, Avalon Division
                        Executive Officer, Expansion Task Force

http://www.expansionfleet.com/medals/meritoriousservice.gif" border="0">
"I'm glad that Karelia always understands the things, which I don't..." - Fleet Admiral Montrell

James Madison

It may have been so that by the time they had walked without food or water and little to their name the Hurricane would have hit them with no chance. As it was moving faster than any man could run from it. I think at one point 15 MPH.  Opinions are Opinions. But i will say Busch acted rather patheticly to this crisis. Only days after has aid from the government been sent. Or sufficient aid that is.
http://archive.expansionfleet.com/charpics/dougherty_matthew.jpg" border="0">
Admiral - High Command
Avalon Station CO

Vorak

Strange how easily people feel attacked while there wasn't any attack. The only name I mentioned was Malia, and my other comment was only a very general one, not pointed at anyone directly in particular. But if people are going to begin to feel attacked, it's better to just lock this topic http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
Flag Admiral Vorak
CO Expansion Fleet

Malia

Unfor.  days later there are thousands of people still trapped in New Orleans alone, and the looting and killing and raping that is going on is horrible, the few is taking away from others that still need to be rescued.  

There are people dying while standing in the streets waiting to be evacuated, and while we can all talk about how it was a disaster waiting to happen, it has happen so we need help down south, not only in in LA but in Miss and Al where people are not gettting the relief and supplies they need.  If anyone at all can donate money to the red cross or salvation army please do so.  There are people dying in our country.
"If God wanted me to be quiet he would've never showed me what he does."

lucasbailey

actually, scratch that, today i saw a GS that had unleaded priced at 3.85$, funnily enough, i saw some people talking to the owner...hmmm, wonder where that discussion was heading... http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=';)'>

Malia

saave the people first, politics later, donate money, stop complaing about gas prices, people are losing their lives, I have to pay alot for gas tooo.  My mom is trying to go down there as a Nurse and my brother is trying to sign up as a volunteer and all you can do is complain.

Please if there is one thing I can get across donate donate donate.

I cant believe you're talking about gas dont you understand whats happening.
"If God wanted me to be quiet he would've never showed me what he does."

lucasbailey

"and all you care aobut is how much the gas costs???"

David, I will say my piece, then i suggest we all back off on this subject... http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

--No, like every other person in the world. We have to survive. You don't get what it is like to live on welfare, to have food stamps. To go with out. I do. I know what it is like to have to rob peter to pay paul,  as i am sure many others do. I've given what i could to charities, to help. So don't give me that.

Don't start that "texan president" ####. Oy, I've seen that excuse used so many times i begin to have little respect for those who constantly use it. Perhaps its the dealing with  fellow liberals that i would rather not associate with. (no offense btw)

"Maybe there would have been more resources to SAVE people, if most of them hadn't been used to KILL people in Iraq instead... "

--Although i agree that it would be best to stay away from this subject...i have a small bit to say.
In my opinion, they are free. I don't give a flying #$@ whether or not the war was wrong or right. Our troops wouldn't have joined if they didn't believe in it. Who cares about the politics. They are FREE!

Yes, what happened in NO is horrible. I have friends that lived in New Orleans, of course they don't now... But in certain aspects i have little sympathy for those that didn't leave (not including the ones in that stayed in the superdomesome), they could have walked.... It may be harsh...but, thats how i feel. So thats my two cents...
http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>