• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Cardinal Virtue

Started by Will Karelia, February 02, 2006, 09:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enoch

*Enoch sighs deeply.*
"I think I know exactly how you feel."
*He looks around, as to check if anybody can overhear them.*
"It's not without reason that I'm so familiar with Starfleet technology and computer systems, and yet I'm a mere merchant. I was once in Starfleet Academy myself, and an outstanding student too if I may say so myself. One day, our navigation instructor selected his best students, of which I was one, to go on a simple scientific mission with a shuttle. He felt we were ready for it, and he wanted to give us the experience."
*Enoch sighs again.*
"And we ended up being attacked by a Cardassian ship. The shuttle sustained heavy damage, and our instructor... was badly wounded and unconscious. Not fatally wounded, though, he could have survived it. One of my fellow students also majored in medical classes, so he went and took care of our instructor, for the little time we had because out of nowhere, a Maquis ship appeared and attacked the Cardassian ship. The Cardassians were stronger however, and kept firing both the Maquis ship and our shuttle... One of my other fellow students was trying to get the engines to work again, so we could warp out, and he only needed another minute."
*Enoch stares at the ground.*
"And then I freaked out. I was the one sitting at the navigation panel at the time, and instead of avoiding the Cardassian firepower, I beamed myself out... to the Maquis ship. I abandoned my fellow students, and my instructor. Later I heard that the shuttle was flying recklessly, because there was nobody piloting it. It had become an easy target for the Cardassians, and it was destroyed in no time. Everyone on the shuttle died. I could have prevented that if I had stayed on board and kept control over the shuttle's navigation. Instead, I beamed myself over to the Maquis."
*He looks at Karelia.*
"I can hear you ask already... No, I didn't join the Maquis. Although they tried to convince me, and I was tempted to do so for a moment... But I passed the opportunity, and they dropped me off with a shuttle at the nearest starbase, so I could find my way back to Earth from there."
*Then he looks down again.*
"When I returned to Earth, I had to explain what happened. And I didn't even tell them the truth... I said that I tried everything to save the rest of the crew, because the instructor had been injured, and that I intended to beam us all out at once but the transporter caught only me before the shuttle exploded. I was seen as a hero for trying to save my mates, and with that honour I resigned from Starfleet. I never told anyone the truth."
*Then he looks up at Karelia again.*
"To be honest, you're the first Starfleet officer I ever told this to."
Enoch, Camelot Medieval Store
Drop by, you may find something you never knew you wanted, and remember... if we don't have it, surely we can find someone who does!
http://idcards.expansionfleet.com.sparks.priorweb.be/ID-Enoch.jpg" border="0">

Enoch

OFF: Oops, I kinda forgot to post here lol. Sorry.

"From an admiral used to work on large starships and space stations, I wouldn't expect the preference of a small ship. But if you must know where this ship is from... I purchased it from a merchant from the Delta Alliance, so its based on their technology, although there have been some Starfleet upgrades made to it."

OFF: hope that doesn't upset your planned storyline.
Drop by, you may find something you never knew you wanted, and remember... if we don't have it, surely we can find someone who does!

Will Karelia

Enoch and Karelia enter the docking bay, near the mooring holding the light freighter, Cardinal Virtue.

"So, you want to know why I am leaving Starfleet?" Will asks. "Well, I've had enough. So many people have lost their lives due to my orders, and I don't want that responsibility anymore."
Name: Karelia, William Michael
Assignment: Commanding Officer, Avalon Division
                        Executive Officer, Expansion Task Force

http://www.expansionfleet.com/medals/meritoriousservice.gif" border="0">
"I'm glad that Karelia always understands the things, which I don't..." - Fleet Admiral Montrell

Will Karelia

"No, I'm not. I'm not a Starfleet officer, remember? So, neither of us really fulfilled our duty to Starfleet. You could say we're kindred spirits."

"I'm glad that Karelia always understands the things, which I don't..." - Fleet Admiral Montrell

Will Karelia

"Hmm, that seems strange. The ship doesn't look to have originated in the Alliance. Ahh, doesn't matter."

Karelia stands. "Thanks for the look, Enoch. I should probably get going, I still need to finalize some things before I leave."

Will and Enoch disembark from the Cardinal Virtue and leave the docking bay.

Enoch

OFF: I can't wait here forever as I'm needed in another storyline, so...

*The payment is arranged.*
"Thank you, Mr. Karelia. The ship is yours now. Good luck."
*Enoch leaves.*

Enoch

"Yes, I remember what happened with Omega Station... It was a disaster, and for a moment I thought that Avalon Station would befall the same fate."
*Enoch sighs.*
"Being an admiral must be hard, knowing that people count on you to make the right decisions, the responsibility over so many people, I wonder how all the admirals manage it."
*Then he looks up at Karelia.*
"But keep in mind that things still could have been worse. Perhaps if you hadn't been there, even more people would have died. Sometimes, there is just no happy ending to a story, and then all one can do is save what can be saved. Don't carry the weight of the dead, it would only consume you while you could be doing good instead."

Enoch

*Enoch smiles.*
"Yes, one could say we are. But I have to add that I regretted ever since making the mistake I made, and leaving Starfleet over it. If I had been brave enough not to give up, I may have had a chance to save lives another time instead, and make up for my mistake, in a sense."
*Enoch waves it off.*
"But don't listen to me, I'm sure you have other things on your mind, such as the ship we came to have a look at here..."

Enoch

OFF: Ummm hello? Could we conclude this storyline so Enoch can get back to his store?

Will Karelia

"Yes, I know what you mean. I try to let it go, but it's so hard. So many people, people with families and friends back in the Alpha Quadrant. People that died under my command."

Will pauses for a minute. "I've only felt like this once before. It was after the second Borg attack on Earth, at Sector 001..."

-- Ten years ago --

"Alright, put me through to all decks."

Captain Karelia sat on the bridge of the Akira-class U.S.S. Schasta, as he waited for the ops officer to comply.

"All hands, this is the captain. We are mere minutes from a battle that could, that will decide the fate of the Federation and of the entire galaxy. The Borg are attacking Earth. Earth, home of all humanity and capital world of the Federation. We're fighting to stop this horrible menace upon all of the Alpha Quadrant. We're defending not only the Federation, but the Klingons, the Romulans, the Vulcans, everyone. But if that isn't motivation enough, think of everyone you love. Because you're defending them as well. If the Borg win here, today, it will mean the end of individual life as we know it. All resistance will crumble beneath the Borg Collective."

He took a short pause, inhaled, and began again. "It's very possible that someone next to you won't live to see tomorrow. But I can think of no better way to die than in defense of my home. I challenge you to do so. So, as your captain, as your friend, I ask this of you: Give the Federation your best effort. Thank you."

Almost simultaneously, the intercom closed and the Starfleet channel 1486 opened. "We've have it in visual range, a Borg cube on course zero, mark 2-1-5. Speed, warp nine-point--"

And the channel cut out, only to be replaced by a voice only describable as the collective of billions of voices in tandem.

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance..."

Karelia stood, as he saw the cube on the viewscreen.

"...is futile."

The captain surveyed his bridge crew. "All hands, battlestations!"

-- Present Day --

"The ship was destroyed, but we saved most of the crew. Still, the sixty-two that died hurt just as bad as the hundreds that died on the other ships."

He paused again. "Imagine how I feel now."

Will Karelia

"Right."

They enter the ship through the boarding hatch, and step directly into a narrow corridor. Taking a left, they come to a single door at the end. Upon it's opening, Karelia lays eyes on either the smallest bridge or the largest cockpit he'd ever seen.

"Well, it's small. That's good, I like small."

He sits at the controls, which boot up after he touches them. To Karelia's surprise, they are not the standard LCARS, which are found not only on Starfleet vessels, but all ships produced in the Federation.

"Hmm, this is odd," he states. "Enoch, where did this ship come from?"

Enoch

"Very well then... How would you like to arrange the payment?"