• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 9

Started by Nekturn, November 05, 2005, 04:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon Kennedy

OCC: sorry thats my other character forgot i was logged on as him

IC:yes sir
Kennedy

Eugene Archer

"Very well. As I promised you, the next part of this lesson will be about how to indicate headings."

"There are two different ways to indicate the direction in which a starship/shuttle is moving; absolute heading, and relative heading. The absolute heading is specified as an azimuth/elevation relative to the center of the galaxy. This means that if you would be travelling directly towards the center of the galaxy, your azimuth would bee 000 and your elevation 000 as well. In short: bearing 000, mark 000. This, the absolute heading is not used very often in starship piloting, but you have to know it because you might bump into it once in a while."

"Next, is the relative heading. The relative heading is specified as an azimuth/elevation relative to the vessel's current orientation. This means that when an object is straight ahead of the vessel, it's located at bearing 000, mark 000. To make it even more clear: the azimuth, which is indicated by the bearing, refers to an angle along a horizontal plane around the vessel, values increase to the starboard. The mark refers to the angle of elevation, values increase to above."

"What I have just told you is the most important data you will get in this education. Therefore I will now give you some questions about it.

1. Using the relative heading, an object located at bearing 174, mark 002, is located: a) off the starboard bow, b) off the port bow, c) off the rear bow.
2. How would you announce a change of heading, when changing it to an azimuth of 45 and an elevation of 50 (relative heading).
3. A ship is moving at an angle of 30 degrees relative to the center of the galaxy. When the ship is turned to port by 12 degrees, elevation is not changed, what is it's new heading? (absolute heading)
http://idcards.expansionfleet.com.sparks.priorweb.be/ID-Archer.jpg" border="0">

trian

yes sir i am laying in a corse now it looks like those five astroitds (depending on there heading) that we culd hit setting in correct corse cerrections in case there needed evrything is ago sir.
trian
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/BecKaDoodles/expendabilitystartrek.jpg" border="0">

Eugene Archer

You're welcome, ensign. And thank you for the nice compliment. You've been a very nice and easy-going cadet as well.

Trekertrev

*Stands at attention and tries to come up with an awnser.*
Well sir, I am not sure what you mean. Do you want me to list Warp 1 to warp 9.9999, or do you want me to put in how many times the speed of light it is?

ooc: I almost wish i did engineering, but Yay someone is teaching me.
Live by the bat'leth, die by the phaser

Marco Diaz

Cadet Whillis, your week of ship time has ended.

I give you the option of extending the tour another week to increase your knowledge,

or, finish now and accept the evaluation and whatever rank therein.
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Marco Diaz

"Good, also remember that speed can affect your heading as well"

Checks his notes again

"Ah yes, let's not forget about trajectory. It's basically the same as heading only instead of the ship moving towards a direction, it's a ship or projectile moving towards the ship. And is calculated the same way"

Looks at his books and sees what is next

"Now we have something that you may like better than bookwork" Gives a tiny smile " Onto some practical work, head on over to the holodeck for some more lessons"

(OOC: I'm going to keep it in this thread to make it easy to navigate)

Diaz and his cadet leave for the holodeck and when they arrive he punches in some info for the computer to work in

The doors open and the computer authorizes it is ready
"Here we go, after you cadet" In front of them is a typical shuttle used by starfleet docked in a space station very similar to Space Station Avalon.

The instructor sits down in the co-pilots chair and pulls it closer to the console " Okay Ender, take us out and we'll do a little sight seeing"
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Cobra

"Yes sir, engaging engines warp 5, Neutral Zone. No problem."
Ensign Ender Wiggin

Graduated Helm Training

Jon Dane

"Aye sir. One fourth a lightyear to the nearest class M planet sir. Course plotted, to be engaged on orders".
Cadet Jon Dane
Operations

Marco Diaz

3 more Romulan cruisers appeared on sensors and could be viewed by the crew at maximum magnification on viewscreen

"Bring the ship closer to the atmosphere at the pole, Weapon status Mr. Tac?"

TAC: we got about 30 torpedos and power supplies should hold long enough for us to get outta here

"Ohh, we're not leaving Commander, they came here for a reason and broke the neutral zone"

OPS: Reinforcements won't arrive for another hour sir

"Then we have to keep them occupied, any suggestions?"
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Marco Diaz

(OOC: ahh  I read it wrong, I was thinking nebula class inbound as the romulans for some reason)
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Eugene Archer

*Fleet Captain Archer enters the holodeck of classroom 9, to prepare cadet Mann's first lesson.*

"Computer, run program: 'Navigation Lesson 1'."

*Archer then gets a PADD from a console of a bridge that had just appeared. He starts going through the notes on the PADD and seats himself in the Captain's chair.*

Gunn Mann

Sir,
An absolute bearing is when a flight vector is specified as an azimuth/elevation relative to the center of the galaxy.  Whereas a relative bearing is when a flight vector is specified as an azimuth/elevation relative to the vessel's current orientation.

Bearing 258, mark 010 is on the starboard side.

The five areas of responsibility of the Flight Control Officer are;
a. Navigational references/course plotting
b. Supervision of automatic flight operations
c. Manual flight operations
d. Position verification
e. Bridge liaison to Engineering department

The five input modes are;
a. Destination planet or star system
b. Destination sector
c. Spacecraft intercept
d. Relative bearing
e. Absolute Bearing
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/gunnerman1971/gunnmann.jpg" border="0">

Eugene Archer

I have to say that I'm very impressed, cadet. You have showed me some truly spectacular flying. You really know how to control the vessel and there were no major problems you encountered. I'm sure that you are curious about your time...

Your time was, cadet Mann, 2 minutes and..... 45 seconds!!! You beat the old record. Another prove of your capabilities as a flight control officer.

You have passed this final test easily, and therefore, you are hereby officially graduated from Deep Space Academy!

There are a few options you can chose from now:
1. Continue to study at the academy by enrolling in another course;
2. Start to work as Flight Control Officer (Helm Officer) somewhere in the fleet*

*According to the Open Positions List in this forum, there are no vacancies for flight control officer. I would therefore recommend you to pick another course at the academy. By doing this, you increase your flexibility and it gives you better opportunities to get higher up in the fleet.

Please think about your options and let me know as soon as possible.

Ghemor

"I know very simply that the helm is located on the ships bridge"
http://archive.expansionfleet.com/charpics2/garak-small.gif" border="0">
Ensign Ghemor / Operations Officer / USS Evolution
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/Startrekdude1992/RedEnsign.png" border="0">