• Welcome to Expansion Fleet - Avalon Archive.

News:

This is an archive board, where you can read missions and discussions of the old storylines, revolving around Avalon Station (2001 - 2008). Do not use this board to post new topics.

Main Menu

Classroom 9

Started by Nekturn, November 05, 2005, 04:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene Archer

"Well, at least you didn't say anything wrong. http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':p'>

I will train you to be a Flight Control Officer (FCO). As a FCO, you have five major responsibilities, namely:
- Navigational references/course plotting
- Supervision of automatic flight operations
- Manual flight operations
- Position verification
- Bridge liaison to Engineering department

The FCO is sometimes referred to as 'Conn'. This is also the name for the FCO's console. This console is located on the main bridge of the starship.
Computer, initiate program Archer-Helm-Alpha."

*A Constellation-class starship bridge appeared out of thin air. Archer walked towards the front of the bridge*

"Please come over here, cadet. This here, is the Conn. The FCO's console. Since you will become an FCO, please station yourself behind the console, then I will explain you what everything means."

*As Cadet Ghemor settled himself, Archer walked to the other side of the conn, so that he could look the young cadet into the eyes*

"While sitting behind your console, you will get your orders directly from the Commanding Officer at that time. Normally, the actual execution of flight instructions is performed automatically by the computer. It might, however, occur that there is a situation in which manual control is necessary. In case this happens, you have a 'Manual'-section on your console..."

*Archer points out a small, vividly colored, rectangular shaped area on the console*

"...which contains a keypad. With this keypad you can steer the ship yourself, when the ship is in full-manual flying mode.
Here on the right side of your console, you can see the navigational references area. With these controls, you can plot courses, and read information received by the navigational and tactical sensors. This information is critical for your performance as FCO. You have to adjust courses and trajectories with the information you get from those sensors."

*Archer walked towards the Captain's chair and picked up a bottle of water. He drank some of it before returning to the conn. Once back at the conn, he pointed out the largest section of the console, in the middle*

"This is a part of your station that is also not unimportant. With this part, you can communicate with engineering, and also manually override the impulse- and warp-reactions, to adjust flight vectors in emergency situations. This part of the console is also important when there is no engineering officer on the bridge. You can read out all data on the ship's systems. In such a situation, when the engineering officer is not available, it is your responsibility to inform the commanding officer  on the engineering systems, by giving status reports.

I have now explained you the responsibilities of a Flight Control Officer and how your station works. I will now start a simulation. You will get the opportunity to get to know the controls. You can fly around as much as you like, to get familiar with flight control. I will leave this classroom now, but please do practice a bit before our next lesson. In that lesson, I will tell you all there is about navigation, plotting courses, and inputting information in the computer."

*Archer turned around and left the holodeck*
http://idcards.expansionfleet.com.sparks.priorweb.be/ID-Archer.jpg" border="0">

Eugene Archer

"Very nice moves, cadet. You show that you can apply the learned theory into practice right away. Also very clever of you to try and fly above the asteroids. Of course you always have to try to fly the shortest or fastest way, but this means only a slight detour. Very well done."

"Computer, freeze simulation."

*The ship suddenly stopped moving, and the only parts on the holodeck still in motion were Archer and Ghemor*

"Since we have now covered all theory about Flight Control, and you have proven to be a very good pilot, I promote you again, to cadet C4. I will now leave this room again to give you some time to prepare for your final test. We will meet again, same time tomorrow."

Leon Kennedy

leon walks into classroom and sends a message to fleet captain archer*

=^=cadet kennedy to fleet captain archer i am ready for class =^=
Kennedy

Eugene Archer

"I bet your father has taken you for a little ride once in a while, hasn't he. Anyway, let's start."

*Archer snaps his fingers and the classroom turned into the bridge of a Galaxy-class starship. He guides Kennedy towards a console in the front of the bridge and offers him the chair behind it.*

"This training is to turn you into a Flight Control Officer(FCO). There are several responsibilities a FCO has:
1. Navigational references/course plotting
2. Supervision of automatic flight operations
3. Manual flight operations
4. Position verification
5. Bridge liaison to the engineering department

Most of these responsibilities don't need further elaboration, because they are quite clear. The only one that might be unclear, is the first one: navigational references, so I will explain it. The console you are currently looking at, displays readings from both navigational and tactical sensors, overlaying them on current positional and course projections. By reading this information, the FCO can alter direction and plot new courses if necessary."

"The specifications for flight paths, can be inputted into the computer by using five different input modes. You can specify a certain planet or star sytem to choose as your destination, but you can also indicate a destination sector. The third mode is to set a course to intercept another -moving- vessel. Finally, you can also specify either a relative heading or an absolute heading. I will explain you all about the last two in a moment. First I would like to ask you if you have any questions, remarks, additions, etc."

Eugene Archer

"That is correct, cadet. Welcome to the academy. We will immediately start your training."

"First of all I would like to know if you have experience in starship piloting/helm, and if you have any prior knowledge. Anyway, we will now start."

*Archer snaps his fingers and the classroom turned into the bridge of a Galaxy-class starship. He guides Trian towards a console in the front of the bridge and offers him the chair behind it.*

"This training is to turn you into a Flight Control Officer(FCO). There are several responsibilities a FCO has:
1. Navigational references/course plotting
2. Supervision of automatic flight operations
3. Manual flight operations
4. Position verification
5. Bridge liaison to the engineering department

Most of these responsibilities don't need further elaboration, because they are quite clear. The only one that might be unclear, is the first one: navigational references, so I will explain it. The console you are currently looking at, displays readings from both navigational and tactical sensors, overlaying them on current positional and course projections. By reading this information, the FCO can alter direction and plot new courses if necessary."

"The specifications for flight paths, can be inputted into the computer by using five different input modes. You can specify a certain planet or star sytem to choose as your destination, but you can also indicate a destination sector. The third mode is to set a course to intercept another -moving- vessel. Finally, you can also specify either a relative heading or an absolute heading. I will explain you all about the last two in a moment. First I would like to ask you if you have any questions, remarks, additions, etc."

trian

ill just wait then  http://www.expansionfleet.com/ikonboard/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>
trian
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/BecKaDoodles/expendabilitystartrek.jpg" border="0">

Elayeth Wren

Elayeth slowly entered the room, making sure it was the right one, and looked around.
What he saw wasn't all that exciting, a standard classroom with tables and chairs. What he smelt, aside from the faint trace of vomit, was not exciting either. But what he felt was a different matter all together. The potential to once again be someone. His last two hosts were also intelligence officers. One helm, the other tactical. Elayeth had the pilot's instinct within him and felt almost invulnerable in the pilot's seat. Of course, that is how his last host died... but nothing could have been futher from his mind as Elayeth stood to the left of the doorway at full attention before calling, "Wren, Cadet Elayeth, reporting for duty sir."
Wren, Cadet Elayeth
Former Starfleet Captain

Trekertrev

First I would inform the captain of the situation and unless he told me to hold my course, I would take evasive manuevers if the defence systems open fire, Probly go to full impulse and pull away out of range. This is, of course, if the CO doesn't give me other orders that contradict what I plan to do, Sir.
Live by the bat'leth, die by the phaser

Trekertrev

I have a slight problem sir. I have posted in the reporting in area on the revindell but noone is responding. I also sent PM to the captin. I was not sure if I should just post in the sim or what.
Live by the bat'leth, die by the phaser

Marco Diaz

"Right, I would have also accepted planetary bodies. Your grasping the concept."  Looks over at his notes

"Moving along, navigation and headings..." he paused to think.
"When you want to make a heading to oh let's say Jupiter from Earth, you must also plan out your coordinates well."

Turns and writes on the board again

There are several ways to plot a course in 3-dimensional space. One way is to provide a flight vector specified as an azimuth/elevation relative to another flight vector (usually the vessel's current orientation). This method, using the spherical coordinate system, gives the azimuth and elevation values as angles relative to another vector. These angles, the "bearing" and "mark", respectively, are given in degrees, with 360 degrees being equal to one full rotation.

" The terms 'bearing' and 'mark' are easier to recognize if you think about it as 'Bearing 000 Mark 000' this is always known as the current ship heading, follow the bow and you get bearing 000 mark 000."

"Picture the ship in a bubble, there are 2 circles going around the ship, a vertical and horizontal circle. The 'mark' will be your vertical circle and the bearing will be the horizontal"

He looks over to a cabinet where he has a model of a ship standing. "Take a look at this" he moves it closer and begins to draw lines on it with his finger " Top down you should see a clock, port side in numerical form would be 270 degrees and same for starboard as 90 degrees" Gives Ender a second to picture it.

"The exact same form is used for the 'mark' except from the side perspective."

" Let me see if you understand this system, put yourself at helm aboard a ship that is in orbit of a planet, any class planet it doesn't really matter, the ship's current heading is perpendicular with the surface. Tell me what that would be in coordinates, and... what would be a good heading to leave orbit, Remember that you must also give plenty of room as to not graze the atmosphere, it could be dangerous" He smiles and sits down again
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Marco Diaz

Diaz sat back in his chair tilting his head whichever way the shuttle would turn.

"As you can  see, the shuttle's status is displayed for you in easy to read tables according to what state you are in. Right now impulse engine status is shown, and if you jump to warp for a minute you can see the warp speed chart"
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Cobra

(OOC: What class is this ship)

"Aye sir drooping out of warp, maneuriving to run parralel to the Romulan vessel."

As he said this Ender tapped the helm commands, he really wished for manual control and the feel of the ship

"Sir, the Romulan ship is begining to move closer, one half impulse. Tactiacal, recomend going to yellow alert. Exicuting warp one jump, one light year away."

Imputing the cordinates he deftly sent the ship into warp, appering safely one lightyear distant.

"Ops, location of Romulan vessel?"
Ensign Ender Wiggin

Graduated Helm Training

Marco Diaz

Starboard ship was now listing heavily because one of its nacelles was destroyed. Port ship had its  shields disabled

"I said weapons and shields Lieutenant!"

TAC: Forgive me sir, my calculations were off, at least they can still move outta here on impulse

"Do that again and you're off the bridge"

TAC: Yes sir, won't happen again

*as the Tiberon sailed past the Romulans, disruptor blasts hit the stern of the ship and rock everyone in their seats*

"what the?... Beta 3 evasive manuever Mr. Wiggin!"

OPS: Incoming ships bearing 046 mark 051

"Dane set course and go to full impulse once we get clear of the Romulans"
Captain Marco Diaz,
Commanding Officer DSA

Jon Dane

"I have one sir. We can begin very eratic maneuvers and fire spread shots from phasers and torpedo bays. Create a target they have to focus on to get. Focus on and focus on nothing else"
Cadet Jon Dane
Operations

Jon Dane

"We are heading towards the strongest Romulan ship at half impulse sir. Communications have been sent to the outer fighters for our course".
Cadet Jon Dane
Operations